Latest 17" MPB Production Quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple Corps, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #1
    Enough already on waiting for the Rev B. - I have to get something and am back and forth between the 15" and 17" MBP.

    What is the build quality on the latest 17" production runs? The 17" sounded as if was having the fewest number of problems and there were some surveys that backed that up - not sure how valid they were though.

    Most importantly - did the 17" ever receive a revised mlb to address the whine and heat issues? Those issues were less pronounced with the 17" but still a problem. Also - has the "floppy display" hinge issue been improved?

    Thanks.
     
  2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
  3. scott523 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    St Charles, MO
    #3
    Has Apple done this before? Another update a day after Aperture 1.5 is release? :confused:
     
  4. wchong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Location:
    Miami, Fl
    #4
    maybe, everything is possible with apple
     
  5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #5
    Yes, at NAB, they waited until the beginning of the event to release the 17" MBP. They also did it at NAB a few years ago where they announced a speed bump to the 17" PB after a Final Cut upgrade I believe.
     
  6. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #6
    MovieCutter - will do - painful and frustrating though it may be :-0
     
  7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #7
    I know the feeling, I'm holding off a purchase of a maxxed 2.16Ghz MBP for $1300 to wait until tomorrow.
     
  8. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #8
    I've been playing with the 15' and 17' MBP's at the store lately. I had my heart set on the 17', and ended up getting the 2.0ghz 15' instead. Mostly just because the 17' seemed too big (and the screen had a little more play in it), and because then, I couldn't justify $400 for a graphics card/processor upgrade (I'll be upgrading my HDD and RAM on my own).
     
  9. Reaver macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #9
    I believe the replacing of the HDD yourself voids the warrenty if I am not mistaken.
     
  10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #10
    Only if you break something in the process.
     
  11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #11
    Still, it warps the case.
     
  12. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #12
    Richard - my plan is to purchase a SATA ExpressCard and go external. WAY more options, no additional heat in the MBP, and really FAST transfer rates if you go with a Raptor (for example).
     

Share This Page