Latest Bill Gates Memo

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dane D., Nov 9, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

2. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

They are afraid of google and they know they are not innovative. And doubt that is going to change anytime soon.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I csee MS slwoing dying

They still have a "good' market share but they will slowly be losing it!

I want a Google OS!:eek: :)

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Their monopoly is being threatened by a new generation of knowledgable customers. e.g. we're figuring out Windosasdr sucxx

5. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Maybe some of you can help me out here but I don't really see the threat to office/windows here. The article mentions web-based apps, but who's going to write their English paper on a website, or create graphs/charts for thier presentation online instead of using excell? Don't get me wrong, I also think Microsoft is on it's way for a slow decline, but it seems to me the threats are from competitive software (like OSX, Keynote, OpenOffice etc.), not web-based stuff. What am I missing here?

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Complete online experience is the next frontier for computer technology. Google is working on its own Online "OS," and faster than MS can. MS will just likely port over what they already have, add a few features and call it "done." Google, however, is going to maximize their legitimacy as a tech company and blow the doors wide open.

I am strongly agaisnt an online OS and online tools. It makes no sense in the security field. But, I could be wrong and it could turn otu to be quite good. We'll see.

Sure, OS X is grabbing market share, pretty rapidly, in fact. Apple VS. MS is no longer the main rivalry. MS VS. Google is. Google WILL win

7. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

For those of us that never use the aforementioned software programs, web-based programs and the like are the wave of the future. I agree, you still need certain software to perform your various duties, but the beauty of technology is its always changing. To give you an example of what I mean; when I started working in advertising, keylining and ordering type were the norm. Then the desktop came on the scene and changed that for the better. With the ability to create work, send it via FTP to the pre-press people and have it on the press in a relatively short period has been a godsend in my business. For MS, their challenge is to stay competitive in a ever-changing world. Competion is good, it wakes up sleeping giants. In fact, I would even say it helps Apple because they are one of the key companies driving todays' technology. Just look at the iPod, the iMac and OS X, if it weren't for Apple I wouldn't be typing this at all.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When was the last time Bill Gates predicted any trend accurately?

This is a serious question. When was it?

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

I, for one think that Office will once again become the star software at MS and windows will take a back seat as other (opensource) operating systems emerge. Linux is a good alternative, but it will take some major adjustments to the OS in order to make headway in the home user market. Linspire would be a (decent) alternative, though I've not used it, nor do I know much about it. I think that Google will also eventualy make an Operating system as well. I think that the market will be fragmented further with Windows making up 50% give or take of the market and Mac OS (X and further), Linux and alternative systems in development will make up the remaining portion of the home market. I still feel that Windows will have a stranglehold on the commercial market.

As for the Office Live or whatever it will be called, I think that a stripped down version of Office on the web would be great. Coupled with personal internet storage and software like VPN or GoToMyPC, it will help untether people from their traditional offices and make them more productive. I can really see the benefits for logging on to MSOfficeOnline.com using a username and password that was included in the latest version of office (or just paying a nominal usage fee) and being able to type up a report or make changes.

10. jz1492 macrumors member

jz1492

Gates aint no Edison

LOL. Youre right, theyve never had. But they sure are GOOD at reacting to existing trends...billion$ can certainly do THAT.

11. Spievy macrumors regular

Ya, 2 decades ago Gates said "Computers will never need more that 64 kilobytes of memory" LOL

12. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Ok I'm starting to get the idea here. Sort of like a super version of .mac? But there are still major probs w/ this model. The main one I see is security. This kind of thing would be a prime target for hackers.

The second is privacy concerns. Major companies are already trying to spy on our activities constantly, having a large chunk of our data on their servers is putting a lot of faith in them to remain honest (be it Google, MS, Yahoo, or even Apple). I mean w/ .mac I could really care less if Apple looks at my drunken pics from my girfriends' birthday, but if I had important marketing data (which I don't, I just a student) involving the tech arena or even in the TV/Movie industry, I'd still be hesitant to trust them w/ that. I know their Apple, and I love them, but they're still a multinational corp.

The third is internet acess speeds. Currnet Broadband speeds are too slow for this to be a useful productivity tool right now. I could see it working in the distant future when internet speeds are considerably faster than this. But for the forseeable future, I'm gonna have to be skeptical. I mean I can send/check email w/ .mac, but I'd much rather use Mail. It's infinitly quicker to get in, get it done, and then get back to Macrumors. :D

Lastly is how do they make money w/ this? Either we're going to get it for free but will be forced to stare at adds all day (when all of the add-free apps have their icons right there on my dock just waiting for me to click them), or there's going to be some sort of subscription. Who's going to want to rent their software? Would any of you use iLife if you had to pay $10/month?

Maybe I'm still not getting the whole picture here. Am I still missing something?

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've never seen this quote sourced authoritatively. It's just sort of entered into the folklore of computing history and there it will probably always remain. Not that Gates wouldn't say such a thing. If all he had was pencil to sell you, he'd happily try to convince you that nobody could possibly have any use for a pen.