Latest chain letter: Buy No Gas on Sept. 1

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crazytom, Aug 29, 2005.

1. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I received a chain letter today that, I think if everybody got behind it, would probably work....at least it would make a big impact. Thoughts???

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If this was expected to have any real impact and I had a gas chain, I'd lower the price of gas a nickle on Sept. 1 -- and raise it back to normal and add 5 cents the 2nd.

They things are usually a good way to gouge these people and make some money in the process -- since eveyone usually fuels up the day after.

Since the gas level in your tank isn't something that cares if you don't buy any on a certain day.

Not eating french fries as a nation for a week would have a real impact.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

How can there be a net loss when they are selling all they can refine? Regardless, Katrina took care of this bright idea...

There would be a lot more effect if people changed their behavior to only doing absolutely necessary driving for a month or three. Economics 101: Reduced demand for a given amount of supply = lower price.

'Rat

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Let's analyze this for a second.

First, how many days do you go between fill-ups? Maybe 12? (I'm guessing here for purposes of illustration.) So that means that on any given day, only 8% of people (1 in 12) are actually going to consider going to a gas station... which means that only a small fraction of all drivers would even be able to participate in such a boycott. I know *I* won't need to buy any gas on 9/1.

Second, suppose you DON'T buy any gas on 9/1. Is that somehow going to reduce the amount you'd then have to buy on 9/2? Of course not. So you're going to end up spending exactly the same amount of money on gas as you would have with no boycott at all.

This whole boycott is a ridiculous idea.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A better idea is something like "don't buy from Shell for all of September". Hopefully they'd then drop their prices to try to get customers back.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Does anybody actually know the profit margin, cents per gallon, that the refinery gets? I don't. I have read that it's down around a cent per each, but I don't claim that as fact.

Again, from miscellaneous comments through the years, more profit comes from the chemical manipulations of the other half of the barrel of crude. Again, I don't have specific knowledge.

'Rat

7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

OK, OK, OK...I have got this fantastic plan on how Americans can save on gas, lower the price at the same time, and help the enviroment. Doesn't require a new car or a new, fancy dancy type of gas. You interested? Wanna know what it is?

DRIVE LESS AND CONSERVE.

Take 1 car instead of 2 or take the car, not the SUV, if it is a short trip. Or hell, walk. Heaven knows that Americans could stand to lose their spare tire (pun intended)...

With that said, that chain letter is a horrible idea...

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Other ideas I've had (I know, I'm not the one who first thought them up, but I'm just throwing them out there):

1. Congress should mandate HARD miles-per-gallon increases, with NO exemptions for non-commercial vehicles and big penalties (paid by the buyer) for cars and SUVs that don't make the standards. Get those car company R&D guys working on more efficient engines (hybrids, diesels, etc.) and MAKE them put them in cars.

2. There should be a mandate that ALL new gasoline stations in the US be built with at least one pump dedicated to hydrogen fuel... and all existing gas stations should be required to add at least one hydrogen pump by "X" date. Iceland already has hydrogen capability at EVERY gas station in their country... so when they figure out how to synthesize the hydrogen fuel and ship it to the stations, any Icelander will be able to buy a hydrogen-powered car and drive it ANYWHERE in Iceland. Americans should be able to do the same here. Get the infrastructure built NOW (or very soon) so that there's no excuse.

I'm normally not in favor of mandating behavior, but this is one area where some serious ass-kicking needs to take place.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

1. That does need to happen. Simple math shows us that if every vehicle in America double in fuel economy, we would consume half the oil. Half the oil. That is on the order of millions of barrels a day. That is epic.

2. Hydrogen capabilities is good for when (or if) the technology comes about...

As for the last statement, well that is just genius...:D

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The beginning of the chain letter...
    What a meaningless statement. Passive voice should be outlawed in news stories too.

EDIT: or, Congress should outlaw the use of passive voice in news reports as well. hehe caught it.

12. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

But at the same time, that just hurts the station owners, who really don't make much money. The company profits, still, but it causes people to lose their jobs who might not otherwise have jobs.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Went off to Google.

Back at gasoline = $1.50, this website had a breakdown on the makeup of costs:

http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/bo...www.fivestates.com/articles/gasolinecosts.pdf

(Lordy! I hope that thing works!)

Anyway, it showed a refinery cost component of $0.45 per gallon, and a profit at the refinery of $0.04.

Then:

http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/bo...tfh41144_2005-08-22_21-24-26_n08438182_newsml

(Sheesh!)

It's a news article from August 22nd. The pertinent part of the article reads:

"In the week ending August 19, Gulf Coast refinery profit margins rose $1.31 to $15.12 per barrel, a 10-year high.

Midwestern margins rose $2.31 to $16.47 a barrel, also a 10-year high.

Northeast refineries saw margins up 69 cents at $10.36 a barrel, and Rocky Mountain margins rose $4.84 to $22.77 a barrel.

On the West Coast, margins fell $2.07 a barrel but remain at a hefty $24.52 a barrel."

This says a profit margin range of roughly $0.25 per gallon of crude oil (not of a gallon of gasoline) up to roughly $0.55 per gallon of crude. This includes the profit from the sale of other-than-gasoline petrochemicals.

Frustrating...

'Rat

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

And then we have the taxes. Which, as I understand it, go for environmental things related to the damage the gas does, thereby making them necessary.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If our cars doubled their fuel economy we'd still not cut our oil consumption nearly in half. Don't forget all the manufacturing applications of petroleum, as well as the power generation uses.

'Rat, I'd heard the distributors get about a penny per gallon profit. I don't know about the producers. But if a someone skips out on a $50 sale the gas station has to sell another 5000 gallons to make it up.

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

How's it going Heb?

Um, kinda feel like I have been picking on you a lot lately, but I don't understand what you are going on about here. I am not even sure about what you mean by passive voice. This is a chain email, from what I have taken from the thread, not sure how it relates to the news. I am kinda curious about what you consider a passive voice to be and why it should be banned. How do you feel about free speech?

Not that I don't have my own positions about legislating the media. I have previously supported legislation that would discourage promotion of intentionally misleading information, or propaganda, whichever suits you. But I am not sure if this is the same.

What did you mean by that?

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Please don't take out plastics away ...

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I just think people often use the passive voice to make assertions for which they have no credibility, such as the one I quoted. Its just a pet pieve of mine when I read a news report with a passive voice sentence where the reporter is simply using it as a cop-out to find a real source for a story. I didn't mean anything inparticular by it. The sentence was just a perfect example of one of my pet pieves. :D

EDIT: and I was kidding about congress legislating that.

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Someone brought this up in Fed Challenge (it was a slowish day) and again in government.

IF YOU DON'T BUY GAS TODAY, YOU'RE JUST GONNA BUY IT TOMORROW.

It's a fact of life. (well, for the time being. I want my car to run on french fry oil, dammit!)

It won't get cheaper.
    It'll temporarily shift the demand curve inward.
    It'll pop back out the following day.

Also, try to guess what industry has had RECORD profits in the last few years?
    Starts with OI (like.. "oi! I don't have any money left for a mighty mouse") and ends with L (for.. umm... L.)
    They're all businesses. They raise prices whenever and however much they want to. We theoretically shouldn't see an increase in price because of hurricane Katrina RIGHT NOW. But.. we are! because big man Exxon says he wants more money.
    Economics is amoral. They'll screw everyone over just to get a few more bucks.

That being said, I'm skipping going to the Apple store this weekend (or I'll take the bus! ..if I learn how. It's like... 11 miles to there!) and I'm biking everywhere. Maybe I'll drop a pound, maybe it'll be so freaking hot I'll have a heart attack and die.

Either way, I won't be paying for gas.

Oh yea...

and email this post to 10 people, scroll down and StEvE JoBs will appear on your screen with a G5 PowerBook and tell you who your secret crush is!!1!~!one1!eleventy!!

/you get the picture.
    //and I Just felt like being smarmy.
    ///I hate chain emails.
    ////anything that is Fwd:Re:[FWD: Read this now!!] is junk mail.
    /////99.999% of it is from my uncle. the .0001 that isn't? a repeat of what my uncle sent.. but sent FROM MY MOM. Ahhhhh! *fork ->> brain*

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Plastic Alternatives

Plastic Alternatives, Inc.

CHECH'sHealtheHouse

Bioplastics

Three links of about 1,390,000 for plastic alternatives. (0.36 seconds) Once again, despite the rhetoric, there are alternatives that exist out there. Which with development, and the rising cost of Oil, are probably economically viable alternatives.

[​IMG]

Consider whatever alternatives you can think of before deciding upon an outcome. Ideas are important, period.

Most interesting Google result for "Plastic Alternatives;" it appears as "Bio Plastic Alernatives" but is about training dogs. Did someone not want anyone going here or what? The link appears at the top of the list. Very ethical. See for yourself.

21. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

There is a reason it's always been called "black gold'

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, help me out here, I am still not sure of exactly what you mean when you say "passive voice," I was looking for more information defining what you mean by that. And when you connect the passive voice to a "news report" you lose me because I don't think that this is a news report. It's a chain letter, started by someone who believes that not buying gas for one day is going to make an appreciable difference, not something I am agreeing with to be honest.

Maybe, this pet peeve relates to an idea you may have about this being a news report in disguise. Either way, it is not a news report, it is a suggestion supporting a hypothesis that in the space of more than day is rather irrelevant because no matter what the price, people need to buy gas eventually in order to go on with their daily lives. Which is why I am not all that impressed by this idea.

My suggestion would be to replace whatever vehicle you have with the most efficient one you can find that still meets whatever requirements you have.

Do you really think that this is the liberal media (as you believe it exists) in disguise?

P.S.
    In the past, I have disagreed with a few emails that 'Rat has received in the past that I believe fit the mold of what I understand to be using a "passive voice." I'm now wondering if you are suggesting that this is something similar to what I thought those emails were. Ask 'Rat about them, they concerned the war in Iraq, not oil use. Seem to be the same as what you are suggesting though, even if I do not think that this is an example of that.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I used to work at a gas station and we didn't make crap from fuel sales. Gas was almost a loss leader, as it was the mark up in the convenience store that generated a profit. A drive-off or two (pumping w/o paying) in a single day could make us actually lose money on fuel sales for that day.

Lethal

24. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm talking about english. Passive voice sentences as opposed to active voice sentences...

In an active voice sentence, the subject does the acting:
    Tom calculated that if everyone didn't buy gas...

In a passive voice sentence, the subject is acted upon:
    It has been calculated that if everyone didn't buy gas.

I don't know what you're going on about.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

passive voice is generally frowned upon in any kind of writing. examples:

passive voice: The book was found.
    active voice: Bob found the book.

passive: It's been reported...
    active: Time Magazine reported...

in both examples, the passive voice asserts an action but omits the who. as mentioned, the passive voice in reporting belies a lazy approach.