Latest iOS Update breaks movies, TV shows and music

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Benchmob31, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Benchmob31

I upgraded my Apple TV last week to the latest update (5.2 is what i believe it says for software version on my apple tv now) and now I cannot access movies, tv shows and music. Netflix works fine. Has anyone else had this issue? I have an 2nd Gen apple tv. Any ideas?

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's working fine for me on the ATV2 and ATV3. Have you tried restarting it? Signing out of your iTunes account and back in?

3. macrumors regular

I had to reboot mine twice but once I did that there were no further issues.

I would do what was suggested above. Reboot and then turn off and then sign back in to home sharing.

4. macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem since the update. I narrowed it down to when the ATV 3 goes to sleep when I go to use it again it doesn't reconnect to my homeshare properly. So I just set it to never sleep and it has been working fine since. Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.:mad:

5. macrumors 68040

Well considering that according to this review, the AppleTV only uses about 2wh awake and about 1 in "sleep", you aren't missing a lot by not using the sleep function....

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/apple-tv-3-review-201207292014.htm

Edit: And this article talks about the highest draw is 3wh when decoding video http://www.anandtech.com/show/5687/apple-tv-3-2012-mini-review/2 - so lack of sleep or not you are looking at 1 KWhr per month even without sleep mode.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Benchmob31

Thanks for the great advice. I took my credentials out of iTunes, restarted the Apple TV then added my credentials back and it works perfectly now.

7. macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

For my apple tv 2 when it does not want to play movies and tv shows. I just unplug the Ethernet cable and plug it back in and it works again.