Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

011924-5355936851_88d040eac1.jpg

012237-ipad2case017111.003_500.jpg

The newest next-generation iPad case designs from Chinese accessory manufacturers seem to show off two additional openings not found on current iPad case designs. The images above (via MIC Gadget and AppleInsider) reveal a left-upper slot and a top-middle slot that were not found on previous leaked designs.

A recent report from Engadget claimed that the new iPad will have an SD card slot. The most likely location for that seems to be the top-left (shown above) opposite the current volume buttons. Meanwhile, the top slot is more of a mystery, though the above articles both speculate that it could be the right size for a video output such as mini DisplayPort.

While it's hard to get excited over the growing number of case designs coming out of China, what struck our eye was that the two ports match up exactly to a leaked design document from December. Those images also have the distinction of being forcibly taken down upon legal demand, suggesting that there may have been some legitimacy to them.

Article Link: Latest iPad 2 Cases Show Two New Ports

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I doubt the minidisplayport - it's all about airplay, or at least some form of wireless transmission. I don't see Apple adding more physical connectors to any future products. I think wireless is the future - whether it's good or not.

Might be some mini/micro usb for some additional peripherals and accessories.

But it still puzzles me what Apple could do with a port on the "top" of the ipad. But I'm sure once we find out what it is we'll think it's really awesome.

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I think the new iPad should be called Mega iPad with all the rumoured new features. :D

Even if only half of them are true, this is still 1 unhappy first gen iPad owner. We really did get screwed...

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Will probably end up buying the iPad 2 sometime in the future once I save up, when is available.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Even if only half of them are true, this is still 1 unhappy first gen iPad owner. We really did get screwed...

Oh, come on. The iPad is a great piece of hardware just as it is. Nobody is getting screwed unless you were somehow overcharged for it. And if you're one of those types who gets all bent out of shape over being outpaced by tech updates (and make no mistake, it happens to every product out there) then you probably should have already been aware of the often-repeated caveats about buying first generation hardware of anything.

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Odd that the new opening looks to be the same size as the speaker opening at the bottom (assuming that is still going to be a speaker). Would it be possible that this is a second speaker for stereo sound? Having the two speakers at opposite corners would mean that whatever orientation the pad was in, they would still have a speaker on the left and a speaker on the right.

That would be a really weird setup, though. Probably more likely to be an SD card slot.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
2048x1536 screen, 512MB RAM, New CPU/GPU, Facetime cams, SD card slot...
It looks more and more amazing and I hope that the real thing will not disappoint us. Anyway, I really hope that the keynote of iPad 2 will be delivered by Steve.

JustoJHernandez

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

All the other "i" devices have TWO cameras now (iPod touch, iPhone 4) so why shouldn't the iPad have one? Plus it will be great for FaceTime

BCurry1

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Oklahoma
While it's hard to get excited over the growing number of case designs coming out of China, what struck our eye was that the two ports match up exactly to a leaked design document from December. Those images also have the distinction of being forcibly taken down upon legal demand, suggesting that there may have been some legitimacy to them.

Could they not have used the leaked design document to create the case? Seems like they have had enough time to study the document and design and build the case.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

You should have known better. Apple history shows that version 2 of an Apple product is usually significantly improved over the original version. I didn't buy the iPad for this reason. It felt "incomplete" to me. Apple took a gamble with the iPad and now that it paid off thanks to people like you, they can beef up the internal specs to give developers something to play with.

With iPad 2, the iPad will turn from a larger iPod Touch 3G with a slightly faster processor to a larger iPhone 5 (without the phone) that's equal more or less to its smaller sibling. That's an iPad worth buying for the first time or upgrading to if you happen to own the current version. You enjoyed using your iPad v1 and you'll enjoy using the iPad v2 even more.

Last edited:

nofunsir

Suspended
Dec 30, 2009
Reno
Microphone, not Mini DP

That sure looks like a great place for an omni-directional microphone, as seen on the iMac and the new :apple:displays.

Sorry to burst your bubbles :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.