Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Having iCal's icon show the current date is alone worth the upgrade! :p

I'm confused... ical's icon already shows the current date and has since I can remember ( like the 10.2 days maybe? )

Is this something stopped working with Leopard or something and it's finally working again?

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Why Why Why do we still have Aqua scrollbars in Leopard. Does anyone else think Apple are not going to change these now. They look so out of place considering all the other UI changes and the look of the new iLife apps.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I'm confused... ical's icon already shows the current date and has since I can remember ( like the 10.2 days maybe? )

Is this something stopped working with Leopard or something and it's finally working again?

iCal currently only shows the current date when its running. In Leopard it will show the current date even when inactive.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
You think $129 is a decent price for a calendar?

Of course it is, silly! :p

I have to admit I noticed the trash icon looked off from the rest. Definitely a different perspective.

I know, cool isn't it? Sorry if it's too artsy for ya, but I personally love Picasso. :cool:

I find it amusing how so many people seem to think Leopard is just about pretty icons and intro music.

Really that sort of stuff is just a small part of what the OS update is about.

It's about giving developers the best possible tools and technologies to create wonderful software for the Mac.

Amen. Could've have stated it better myself! I was waiting for someone to chime in and reiterate the big picture here. Whee!

We don't know if its gonna be $129 yet.:p

The prices have been announced by Steve Jobs himself at this past WWDC:

Mac OS X Leopard...
  • Basic Version: $129
  • Premium Version: $129
  • Business Version: $129
  • Enterprise Version: $129
  • Ultimate Version: $129
For real. ;)

metallicaisgood

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
Why Why Why do we still have Aqua scrollbars in Leopard. Does anyone else think Apple are not going to change these now. They look so out of place considering all the other UI changes and the look of the new iLife apps.

I agree so so much! I've been wondering when they're going to change the scrollbars. Every new beta release comes around and they're still aqua!

jbstingray

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
USA
They probably don't really need to put the scrollbars in until Gold Master - realistically it has already been done in OS X with iTunes and other iLife apps - a quick tweak and it is done.

-jb

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
For heavens sake its a freaken scroll bar! Im sorry if you dont like it but its just a little bar which you scroll through items with! Whats the big deal!

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
One more question about the iCal icon. We now know that the icon dynamically updates while in the Dock? Does it also update its icon in the Applications folder?

fprefect

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
New soundtrack on intro = not as good as the original.

First of all, I don't think the new intro soundtrack is bad. It's kind of catchy :)

Second... What do you consider the original? Cause you know Apple's changed the soundtrack a few times now. The first one was, if my memory serves me right, Krüder & Dorfmeister's mix of Sofa Rockers, originally by Sofa Surfers. Then they changed it to Eple by Röyksopp, which is kind of my favourite since Röyksopp is norwegian (as am I) and the name Eple means "Apple" :)

Those are the two first soundtracks I think, and then they started using songs I hadn't heard before so I don't remember them as well, but I've never been disappointed by their choices in songs.

(Another thing which is kind of fun for me, is the new intro movie uses the norwegian [and danish] word for "welcome" [velkommen] as the second word, right after the english "welcome".)

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
For heavens sake its a freaken scroll bar! Im sorry if you dont like it but its just a little bar which you scroll through items with! Whats the big deal!

As I've mentioned before. Apple has a history of superior attention to detail. They are meant to be creating a unified UI with Leopard but the Aqua scrollbars stick out like a sore thumb now with everything else using the iTunes look. Also, if they can make high res folder icons with life-like looking textures on them, they can update the damn scrollbars.:rolleyes:

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
As I've mentioned before. Apple has a history of superior attention to detail. They are meant to be creating a unified UI with Leopard but the Aqua scrollbars stick out like a sore thumb now with everything else using the iTunes look. Also, if they can make high res folder icons with life-like looking textures on them, they can update the damn scrollbars.:rolleyes:

Point taken. Wouldn't be worried about it until the final release. And if they don't put them in we can flood Apple with "bug" reports about how our scroll bars aren't updated!

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
i cant wait for leopard! everything looks awesome. btw, does anyone know how to get the intro video? is it even possible?

absolutazn87

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
San Francisco
i absolutely agree about the scrollbars.

apple has already changed most of the OS to conform to the itunes/ilife 08 look and now the old aqua scrollbars look definitely out of place. i personally love the new scrollbars in itunes and i'm patiently waiting for them to be added into leopard. i will be dissapointed if they're not added in and im getting worried that they're not going to be.

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
First of all, I don't think the new intro soundtrack is bad. It's kind of catchy :)

Second... What do you consider the original? Cause you know Apple's changed the soundtrack a few times now. The first one was, if my memory serves me right, Krüder & Dorfmeister's mix of Sofa Rockers, originally by Sofa Surfers. Then they changed it to Eple by Röyksopp, which is kind of my favourite since Röyksopp is norwegian (as am I) and the name Eple means "Apple" :)

Those are the two first soundtracks I think, and then they started using songs I hadn't heard before so I don't remember them as well, but I've never been disappointed by their choices in songs.

(Another thing which is kind of fun for me, is the new intro movie uses the norwegian [and danish] word for "welcome" [velkommen] as the second word, right after the english "welcome".)

By "original" I mean the song that was used in the Tiger intro movie, and the previous Leopard intro.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, and to me the new song for the intro is kind of out of place, seeing as it used in the new iMac commercial.

(thanks for mentioning the names of songs used in past intros :))

Edit: Here's an iTunes iMix with the three previous OS X installation themes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
i absolutely agree about the scrollbars.

apple has already changed most of the OS to conform to the itunes/ilife 08 look and now the old aqua scrollbars look definitely out of place. i personally love the new scrollbars in itunes and i'm patiently waiting for them to be added into leopard. i will be dissapointed if they're not added in and im getting worried that they're not going to be.

The white-and-blue aqua stuff has not changed AFAIK--like sheets, menus, and most dialog controls--OK/Cancel, etc. So I don't expect the glass scrollbars to change (and I for one like them being glass).

The glass window dots have remained, so why not glass scrollbars?

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
New volume bezel.

lolyhg1.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.