Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactib

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
Guys,

I am thinking of upgrading my whole G4,
1- more hard drive
2- more ram
3- faster processor
4- faster video card

so my question is...if i install the new Tiger or the Leopard on my G4, will the OS work as good as it will on its native processor?(i heard something about the whole core of the OS being changed to enable it to run on intel chips..) Will it run at all on my g4? Or should I just stick with Panther?:confused:

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
If it is a retail version of Mac OS X it will run fine on the G4 if you're using an install disc that came with an Intel mac it will not work.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Retail Tiger discs *are* PPC native, for what it's worth.... Just to expand on tipdrill's correct answer. Tiger came out in April 2005, long before Intel Macs....

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mactib said:
so my question is...if i install the new Tiger or the Leopard on my G4, will the OS work as good as it will on its native processor?(i heard something about the whole core of the OS being changed to enable it to run on intel chips..) Will it run at all on my g4? Or should I just stick with Panther?:confused:

Mac OS will run native on PowerPC based Macs for a long time to come. :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Yeah Steve Jobs stated that he's not turning his back on the PPC users and he'll suppor them till what... 2010 or something? or was it later... I keep thinking I read something like that.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
i think i read somewhere, correct me if im wrong...
but if you instal tiger on a intel then it just installs an extra something that PPC users dont need. i could be totally wrong though.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
slooksterPSV said:
Yeah Steve Jobs stated that he's not turning his back on the PPC users and he'll suppor them till what... 2010 or something? or was it later... I keep thinking I read something like that.

Either way, PowerPC based Macs will be able to run the latest version of Mac OS for a good many years yet. :)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Me1000 said:
i think i read somewhere, correct me if im wrong...
but if you instal tiger on a intel then it just installs an extra something that PPC users dont need. i could be totally wrong though.

it just installs just the X86-based version of Tiger, and whatever is needed for Rosetta, but NOTHING for ppc cpu's.......

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
SmurfBoxMasta said:
it just installs just the X86-based version of Tiger, and whatever is needed for Rosetta, but NOTHING for ppc cpu's.......
NOTHING for ppc cpu's? well technically that's wrong, it installs a layer (emulation or compatibility) that converts PPC instructions to Intel - e.g. Rosetta - so that you can run PPC native apps. So its a layer for PPC CPU conversion technically :rolleyes: :p :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.