Latest rumors add up to PRO AUDIO machine...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mywar2000, Jan 24, 2002.

1. mywar2000 macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    central Cali.
    Here's my take on a few of the latest mac rumors...

Rumor: G5 (or at least upped G4's)
    Rumor: Single rack space (19") osX servers.
    Rumor: Gigawire (upgraded firewire makes the most sense...)

Fact: apple rules the pro/sumer video editing market with FCP.
    Where the hell is a pro audio app?

Rumor: Apple pro audio app.

Even if Apple did make a pro audio app. we would still need a quality A/D converter... enter MOTU 896.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but it sounds possible to me!
  2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    No one seems to understand that Gigawire DOES NOT SOUND LIKE FIREWIRE 2!!! The patent is listed under telecommunications between devices both local and national, and seems to be unwired.

3. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Jan 18, 2002
    no gigawire

apple wont make gigawire. If any of you get Macworld, in the Jan. issue I think(maybe diff. one) it talks about the new firewire, it goes from 100 to 800mbits a second, and it has weird ports that are sort of the same as the ones we have now. It is backward compatible with a little adapter gizmo. But it is not going to be Gigawire!!!
  4. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Could all be moot

Patents are usually applied for when an idea is first formed. And then the application process can take months, even years to finish.

In the mean time technology keeps changing, market forces shift and CEOs come and go.

Who knows what GigaWire is? Probably a few senior managers at Apple and a tiny collection of engineers perhaps.

Is it applicable to ANYTHING going on *right* now - doesn't look that way.

Who knows it could have been a future version of AirPort or some other tech that Apple toyed with and ended up ditching in favor of the "digital hub" strategy instead of "digitial lifestyle" devices (all-in-one PDA/Phone thingy, who knows outside of Apple).

This happens ALL THE TIME.

You should see how many designs for automobiles are made and never get past prototyping stage. Some are simply experiments with materials, design or even techniques in manufacturing that will be commercialized.

I bet Apple has invented incredible technologies in the early mid 90's that would blow away people of the 21st century. One bit did make it out,called Newton, that was so long ago its now considered a myth that a PDA can do real handwriting recognition even with cursive writing and little training.

Anyone wanna pretend to be near death and get in contact with the Make a Wish foundation to get a tour of Apple Computer? Lets get some espionage going! Where are the spy photos of Apple manufacturing plants and warehouses? Something - anything would keep the rumor pot from boiling over.
  5. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002

Pro Audio is more than an "app". in fact, it's more than just software. Pro Audio requires DSP-laden hardware and multiple frequency hardware for sampling, recording and performance. Pro Audio varies from recording to mixing to sequencing to sound engineering, each of which require sometimes vastly different set ups. To put it simply, Pro Audio requires hardware, and the soundcard on the Apple motherboard is not going to provide the same professional levels of, say ProTools | HD.

Apple remains at the core of Pro Audio by providing musicians a powerful DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), with an intuitive and elegant OS that supports intrument hookups and DSP cards such as ProTools or EchoAudio or RME, etc.
    It is the center, but it is not the arm, or the implementation.

With that said, I would like to see more Pro Audio apps for OSX. Steinberg is working on a Cubase for OSX, but the general rush to develop onto OSX is slow in coming.
  6. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    The problem is that this is one department(audio) that apple is falling behind on. Most of the audio apps are being written specifically for the pc because of the bottom line; money. There are way more users, higher demand, greater profitability.

There are some programs that actually run quite poorly on the mac os compared to windows. I dont know why, but this is the way it is.

At this stage you would have to be an idiot to buy a mac for audio(assuming money mattered to you). I hate to say this to all of you but that just the way it is.
  7. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    I respectfully disagree :)

Pro Audio IS Macintosh. Go check out the pro studios, recording engineers, artists, etc. and you'll see how much Apple dominates the Pro Audio segment. Digidesign, or ProTools has always been for the Mac first, PC second. Pro level DSP cards are usually cross-platform, but almost never is it PC only, in fact, recentlly many audio makers have begun to support the PC in addition to the Mac. There are a slew of film scorers who compose on Macs. Keep in mind the huge amount of money being poured into pro studios. You WON'T find a dell, or a slapped-together mail order system sitting at the feet of Hans Zimmer, for example.

This is not an argument to say that music is better on a Mac than PC, that's another issue. I need to communicate however, how widely saturated the Pro Audio audience is with Macs. Check out the new Pro Tools | HD3 system. $11,995, MAC ONLY. That's pro level, and it's all Macintosh.
  8. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    it isn't?

"This is not an argument to say that music is better on a Mac than PC, that's another issue."

truly is . . . but most of my favorite musicians use macs (reznor, eno, bowie . . .) and even go to the level of endorsing them.

visual designer like ausio designers need to be creative, and sometimes it's all about the users environment. I for one like to be surrounded by creativity (apple).

*BIAS and the Propellerheads have announce OS X products and the props entire line of products are going OS X native!
  9. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    Im still missing your point. In terms of why you feel the way you do, it seems to amount to the "because everyone else does" argument type. Out of three card manufactures you mentioned, the motu is the only one catered to the mac (with the exception of digidesign, but those things are another story altogether). The echo cards are primarily gear towards the pc and the hammerfall cards seem to be the closest to a cross-platform card...

If you think about why most of the musicians you mentioned use the mac, it seems quite simple; they need the stability. But take into consideration that Hans has got more than a handfull of hardware to accompany his mac. Its one thing to use a mac for recording, but its entirely different to use it as a multipurpose softsynth/sampler, sequencer & recorder. He has no need for softsyths... that guy has more synthesizers than any one could dream of. He doesnt have to worry about the issues that Im bringing up. Realistically, the macs dont have the bus speed needed for some of the samplers being used (think of battery), and they still dont have anywhere near the amount of apps available.

Granted the level of professionalism Im refering to is actually misleading, as I seem to be focusing the upper level hobbiest when considering monetary constraints...
    This business of having a pro level mac in terms of audio though, still doesnt come without the hefty hardware package that you point out, so how does this make them fit into the pro area?

Im talking nonsense and Im tired, so goodbye for now.
  10. RecTechMin macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2002
    That's a bunch of crap. I use my imac (that's right, my G3 400) to produce 20+ track recordings which include many vsti's and many many plugins. I use it to sequence (through cubase/32), record (through my motu 828 I can get 16 tracks at a time), and mix. I can't even imagine what you folks are doing with your dual 800 G4s. Holy crap! I'm drooling. I'm going to school for recording technology at a prestigious school (which will remain nameless) that only uses macs. That's right -- they're teaching the future of this music industry on the present and future platform of the industry. Now, I'm not saying that the mac's cpu is infinite. Many people use dsp cards that add further power to their sequencing programs. (On a side note, Cubase's new technology, labelled VST System Link, enables users to use multiple computers at once. Which means you don't have to chuck out your old CPUs. You can just add them onto your setup.) Anyways, I just wanted to point out that it is very much possible to do everything inside your mac (whether it's an old imac or a new tower), from recording to mixing to mastering.
    I also wanted to mention another thing. Would you people stop whining about no new G5s?! It's not your cpu's that are going to hold you back; it's your imaginations. If I can produce an entire album and edit 6 short films (and counting) on my measily G3, surely you can get along with your towers! Hehe. Night, folks.
  11. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    g5 update/pro audio

i've got this crappy ol' six string lying around that whish would get an update for soon. in the state of gutairs these days i'm way behind. i can't create anything with it anymore. I need the latest gutair to make good music. If I don't get an update soon I'm switching guitar companies. the have more stuff at lower prices. there stuff is updated every month!

*if you can't make what you want with slower/older tools, then please find another job/hobbie.

12. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    So what exactly is it that I said that was a load of crap?
    Please be more specific.
  13. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    Some of you are ****ing retarded; this should not go unmentioned.

The computer Im typing on right now is a pentium 233 w 64megs of ram. This is like an old guitar in what way? In the sense that it functions? Bull****. Have you checked the system requirements for cubase/logic lately?

The funny thing is some of you get so defensive without even thinking about the fact that your beloved macs are not being attacked. Why would I have 23 posts on a mac users forum if I didnt actually want to own one? A mac that is, not one of you... god only knows what I would do with you.
  14. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Well said.... :)

People do have an obsession with names.... "G5" is the buzzword these days...

15. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    "you get so defensive"

funny people in here . . .

"Some of you are ****ing retarded; this should not go unmentioned."
    (thanx for the support)

"Have you checked the system requirements for cubase/logic lately?"
    (yes, I don't own what I can't run. why do you need the latest programs?)

"The computer Im typing on right now is a pentium 233 w 64megs of ram. This is like an old guitar in what way? In the sense that it functions? Bull****."
    (yes it is like an old gutair, you can make the latest and greatest songs on that P233. I owned a P266 until a year ago and was happily running audio progs with no prob – a little slower than I would have liked, but I couldn't afford anything else. I made a complete album, countless ep's, web-site audio, and soundtrack for my short films. I couldn't run the latest stuff, but who cares. I was happy just making stuff.)

All I'm saying is that a lot of you sound like your sitting there with a piece of charcoal and whining because you don't have the latest and greatest art tool. Why can't you make great art with that old piece of charcoal or guitar? I'll have my mac for years, and will be running out of date programs, but that won't stop me from creating great works of art.

I'd better stop whining now and go make some cool **** . . .
  16. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    I like how you have all the answers. Even though you dont have all the information required to answer it. I mean come on, what do you propose I run on my computer? Really. Based on what it seems I need to accomplish what I desire, who are you to say that what I currently have is sufficient. Bottom line is it may be for you but its not for me. You might remember that what you say is largely based on your opinion and your requirements. This is like beating a deadhorse... you missed the point. How else can I get that across?
  17. RecTechMin macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2002
    What the hell are you talking about, Sleepy? What exactly are you doing on your computer that requires so much cpu power? I intern at a pretty big studio that uses the present towers without a hitch. And if you want more dsp power, get a freakin' TC Powercore. That adds 4 g4 chips to your computer for plugins. Didn't you say you are working on a 233 Mhz PC? Maybe that's your problem; not the current macs. Did I mention my dad is running 16 tracks + plugins using cubase/32 on his beige g3 (what is that, a 300 Mhz). What are you looking to do? Honestly. How many tracks, how many plugins. I know a good amount about this stuff. Why don't you ask and maybe I can point you to a computer system you might like? Let's get constructive. Just stop whining!!!!!!