Latest security update requires 10.3.5? WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wordmunger, Oct 7, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've just noticed that I haven't been able to download the 9/30 security update on my TiBook running 10.3.4. Does this mean 10.3.4 is not supported? 10.3.5 is unstable on my machine -- I spent a week downgrading my machine to 10.3.4 to stabilize it.

I did some other things, such as remove most of my preferences, etc, so maybe it wasn't 10.3.5 that was causing the instability, but regardless, I can't use the new security update. Should I bite the bullet and install 10.3.5? Any other suggestions?

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You could just not bother and wait for 10.3.6. Most security threats are so small (especially on the Mac platform) that you are extremely unlikely to become a victim of an exploit.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Keep in mind though that some of the fixes in this package apply to open source programs, so they aren't Mac-specific. The security by obscurity method will eventually bite you.

WordMunger, if 10.3.5 was that unstable, I would backup your data, and perform a full reinstall. If any of the customizations you performed are unstable with 10.3.5, it would be best to remove some customizations in order to stay secure.

4. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I already did that. But it was still unstable, so then I reinstalled again and reverted to 10.3.4 AND removed all my libraries/prefs. Then things were fine, but I don't know if it's due to the libraries or due to 10.3.4.

So that's what I'm trying to figure out, whether it's 10.3.5 that was causing the instability or something in the libraries/prefs. It's such a pain to reinstall that I don't want to upgrade to 10.3.5 and end up having to revert to 10.3.4 again. This is the first security update that hasn't worked with 10.3.4.

5. stoneage macrumors regular

stoneage

Security Update/connectivity

I just installed the newest SU from Apple, and I am having trouble with Mail and Safari. Mail is constantly asking for passwords and going offline and Safari isn't connecting to sites properly. Sometimes I have to reload twice to get a site to pop up. I read somewhere that requesting a new DHCP lease might help with this problem. How do you do this and what are the ramifications? I have an eMac without an AP card hooked to a cable router and an iBook with an AP card. Thanks for any help. I have restarted, run crons and fsck -f.