LaTeX for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vasileios, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Vasileios macrumors regular

Vasileios

Hi... i just recently made the switch from a pc to the world of mac, with the new powerbook 15'...
    i have a problem finding an application called Latex... i really need it for my university assigments...
    Any help with that?
    thanks...

P.S macOS is amazing... i can't beleive i've lost so many years with windows!!!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. Vasileios thread starter macrumors regular

Vasileios

I've seen it but it's a little bit confusing...
    has anybody tried one that is close to the originall LateX???

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I wrote my thesis using TeXShop.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

It's actually a GUI wrapper for tex, installation instructions of which can be found at that site. It is an excellent program, by the way.

LaTeX saved my thesis. Working with my thesis as a Word document was a headache and I had many unproductive days. I thought I was in a rut (well, I was, but that didn't help) and switching everything to LaTeX was like a kickstart that got me writing again.

5. scott182 macrumors member

I'd also highly recommend using TeXShop. The latest version is probably the best LaTeX integrated editor/typesetter I've used on any platform. It's fairly easy to install, with clear instructions on the previously linked site.

Not sure what you mean by the "original Latex," as LaTeX isn't an application in the usual sense, but as notjustjay pointed out, a wrapper around a command line tool. It should also be pointed out that LaTeX exists for most platforms, including Unix/Linux and Windows, and anything you write on one system can almost always be used unchanged on another type of system. Not to mention that the output is typically a PDF, which is of course portable.

If you've never used it, LaTeX can be a bit daunting at first, but there are many good resources on the web. The most useful I've found is The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e (links to a PDF). Good luck and have fun. LaTeX is really a lot of fun to work with and produces beautiful results.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Another vote for TexShop, which is a front end GUI for Latex. The TexShop website guides you through installing both TexShop and Latex. Works great.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

teTeX http://www.tug.org/teTeX/ has become a sort of de-facto standard TeX for unix, including Linux and OS X. You should just be able to apt-get it from fink http://fink.sourceforge.net/ .

B

8. Vasileios thread starter macrumors regular

Vasileios

thanks...

thanks for the help...
    i'm going with the TeXShop...

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Earlier posts in this thread give links that lead to Gerben Wierda's very nice teTeX installation and management utility, i-Installer. With ii2, you don't need no Fink to install or maintain teTeX.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good to know that TexShop has "teTeX inside," that was not clear from the posts and I didn't follow the link so I was merely responding to the request for something closer to "original" TeX. For a Debian Linux user there ain't nothing simpler than an apt-get. ;)

Thx,

B