Latin America's leftward trend

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

BBC

Does anyone believe the current US administration isn't getting quite nervous about this? Chávez maybe the main target, but the rest of these governments are going to be under intense US pressure as well.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's more than likely a result of our own policies and how they have affected trading partners over the years. Interestingly the US continues to move further to the right, that usually leads to extensive use of military power to achieve the goals of the corporate government. Either that or the CIA gets free reign and billions in secret funds to wreak havoc in countries where we don't like the government.

Link

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

There is only so long you can bamboozle the world before they start getting wise to what you are doing. I have a feeling that South America has long been the victim of our trading policies.

Amazon Link

It's interesting how he describes the role of the World Bank, it's also intersting considering the names being floated to head the World Bank.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm afraid I'm not in the least surprised. You lot need a Revolution.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This sounds like a grand version of the sub-prime lending market in this country.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ho-ly crap. :eek:

This all sounds too much like an X Files conspiracy theory to be true, yet I'm sure it is.

A lot of elements fit neatly into place:

• Perkins strongly implies that Carter's defeat was engineered. Well heck, they had an elaborate scheme which almost succeeded in removing Clinton. Apparently all Democratic presidents are to be eliminated.
    • The neo-cons were coming into their own about the time Reagan was elected. And we know that Reagan and Bush I were involved in illegal overthrow activities in Nicaragua.
    • The Bush family's relationship with the House of Saud is already well-documented.
    • And now the architect of much of this chicanery, Paul Wolfowitz, is being positioned to lead the World Bank.

Skunk's right. We need a revolution.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Following this weekend's Elections in Ecuador, we can add Ecuador to the list as Rafael Correa is elected with a pretty strong 65% of the vote.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Agreed. I'd love for one to happen in my lifetime.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Hey folks it's Capitalism that's how it works,it can't work any other way.While at present the US is the most active the European countries are also well skilled at it.It's not just the US that needs a revolution.As skunk says the left outside the US is not amazed by these revelations it's been well know for decades.

10. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks for the update and the resurrection of an ancient, but still topical thread, xserdrinam. I can't help but notice the wonderful language Reuters' reporter used to describe the new President-elect of Ecuador. He "lured" voters with his "outsider message"? Give me a friggin' break. Is Reuters trying to take Fox's "fair and balanced" claim away from them? :rolleyes: