LaToya Was Robbed

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lyle, May 13, 2004.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Obviously not enough people voted for her.

It's not a talent contest, it's a popularity contest.

2. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yeah, I know. On the bright side, I guess she can go ahead and start working on her album that much sooner. ;)

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    No its a contest to see who best matches the shows demographics :rolleyes:

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, if that's the case, how did Reuben win last year? :rolleyes:

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    He got the fat vote ;)

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Again you have the problem of two very very similar singers (last time it was three) so they are going to split the same demographics. While I certainly feel like LaToya was better than Fantasia. I don't think Fantasia is as good as the judges think, then again I think Randy's opinion counts for squat, if I have to hear him give "props" to his "dogs" one more time I think I'll shoot myself.

Diana DeGarmo has been my favorite, but I'm not a big fan of the "diva" style anyway. I had hoped that Diana and LaToya would make it to the final two, with Diana winning.

But its a popularity contest as well, and if you didn't like the results you could have voted. Its like people complaining about politics and not voting.

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I think thats why last time Randy went last in the judging order and made a lot more constructive remarks. I wouldnt be suprised if the producers got on him to give more to the show. In all seriousness, his comments were never anything worth listening to.

That said, LaToya should have won simply because she was the best singer. Fantasia is a VERY close 2nd, followed by Diana (who can sing) and Jasmine, who USED to be able to sing. What happened to her anyway? I blame song selection.

So yeah, Im shocked LaToya is gone. But Im not suprised because all the 13 year old teenie boppers with their cell phones and nothing to do all night that voted her off. And you can vote as many times as you like, which is rediculous.

OVERALL though, none of these people deserve to win. Very weak season this year. Compared to Reuben, Clay, and Kelly, none of these people would have made top 20 in years past. Especially that John Stevens kid. I blame Paula because she missed part of the auditions, and they let some serious talent walk. (they, meaning randy and simon) And no, I dont mean william hung. There were some good people they let go for some really stupid reasons. One dude was let go simply because he said he would give some of the money away if he won the contest, and they didnt believe him..stupid. He could sing.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

@#$#@ tivo!

Dang. I knew I shouldn't go on the Internet today. I had that show TiVo'd and was planning on watching tonight with the kids. I wondered if Jasmine would somehow get through on the sympathy vote. LaToya should have won it all--it's a shame she was voted off.

I've written more about the curse of TiVo here.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i honestly thought fantasia would go last night. i think she should win, because she has a unique voice and is very emotive. and though i highly respect la toya's poise and nearly flawness technique, she lacks both those things i like in fantasia.

i think fantasia intimidates too many people, leaving diana as the winner.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Look on the bright side... if this kind of stuff keeps up maybe they'll cancel American Idol and put on something decent... :D :cool: ;)

11. dutchmaster macrumors newbie

i don't even know why i flip by it anymore

Degarmo is awful. The beautiful Hawaiian girl benefitted from the anti-Cowell sympathy vote. I knew one of the best two singers (Latoya, Fantasia) would go but was hoping it would be diana. her performances until about two or three weeks ago were pathetic. Cowell was right when he said that Latoya and Fantasia were leagues better than anyone else. At this point though, winning hardly matters and in some instances it may be better not to win. I'd rather get the exposure of finishing in the top 5 and not be forced into making an 'idol' style pop record and doing those god-awful tours and appearances for the next three years. With the exception of Ruben, the best singers have been eliminated at about this point every year it seems. I can't believe i have this much to say about this pap... we are truly immersed in this pop culture tidal wave, eh?

12. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Whoops. Apologies that I didn't consider the possibility that the original post was going to be a spoiler. ;)

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, you should have called the thread: "Spoiler Alert -- LaToya Was Robbed"

:)

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Jasmine should have been voted out long ago. LaToya was indeed robbed. As was Jennifer Hudson. It should have been Jennifer, LaToya and Fantasia in the final three. The problem is that they let people vote as many times as they want. That way they can brag that XX million votes were counted. Unfortunately, what I think is happening is that the people that are voting on talent vote once. The dufuses that are voting for other reasons tend to vote more than once. :mad:

15. anubis macrumors 6502a

jasmine sucks. she's the worst singer in american idol history. she sings quietly and tries to hide behind the instruments to hide the fact that she sucks as singing. she's just tricking everyone into thinking she's good. as a 3-year member of a division I-A marching band, I can tell you that she has NO talent ;) fantasia is the best out of the ones left. if jasmine makes it to the final round and fantasia or diana get voted out, then that's just wrong.

if jasmine wins, her cd is going to SUCK and no one will buy it.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Like a Jerry Springer version of it called American Trailer Tramp.

17. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Why should it be three singers that sound so very similar? Just cause they have the "diva" style thing? Thats not the only way to be a good singer. I think Diana has much more energy and she actually looks like shes enjoying herself up there. I prefer her voice style anyway. I'm glad that the final two will be of differing styles. Although I sincerely hope its not Jasmine, as nice as she seems, I just don't think her voice/abilities have matured enough compared to the others.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is diva a sound or an attitude?

to me, fantasia and la toya sound nothing alike. there's an unspoken rule at AI about the _kind_ of song one sings (e.g. torch songs are popular) and that dictates a narrowing of music styles. so in a certain regard, they _all_ sound alike.

but timbre-wise, fantasia and la toya are very far apart. and imo jennifer hudson was distinct enough from la toya that the 3 made an interesting trio.

and for completion: jasmine's voice is a tad bland and her control isn't very good. i like the sound of diana's voice and she's learning to use it creatively. she very well could win.

19. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Only the divas know for sure.

20. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Good grief, man, is Jasmine your ex-girlfriend or something? It's just a TV show!

As a four-year member of a division I-A marching band (a long, long time ago), I wouldn't say Jasmine has no talent. But of the three remaining contestants, she's certainly at the bottom of the list, and if talent were the real point of "American Idol" she would have been eliminated a long time ago. I was pulling for LaToya to win, but since she's out I'll go with Fantasia. She really did a fantastic job with "Summertime" a few weeks ago, and I've heard a lot of really bad renditions of that song.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Damn, and I was hoping for a juicy gossip story about LaToya Jackson getting mugged.... ;)

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I almost cried when LaToya sang her last song :p. She always has such poise, and she certainly did when she got booted off.

I really likes Jasmine, but something must have happened to her throat because she isn't singing near as well as she did in the beginning.

I absolutely can't stand fantasia, but I really like Diana.

This season is better than the last I think, but not near as good as the first ;).

scem0

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

why?