laughing

Discussion in 'Community' started by akira117, Apr 12, 2005.

1. akira117 macrumors member

akira117

Have you ever laughed at something when it was not appropriate?

Today I laughed someone when they told us that she knew someone that died in a car crash when she was drunk and high.
    The part that was funny was the person being drunk and high at the same time.
    I'm not sure why it's funny, it just is. :confused:

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I laugh at like everything...

in the middle of class, especially...

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Weird, a guy from my school died yesterday in a car crash, he was well liked. A girl was driving his truck (while he was in it, with another guy in the backseat). Rumor has it that he wasn't driving because he was high (for sure), and maybe drunk too. Well, someone cut them off on the freeway, they swirved, car flipped, he died. The girl driving is internally bleeding, not sure if she is going to live.

The guy in the back came out ok, with about 18 stitches, a few cuts.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

About 7 years ago, I was so mad at the woman who was my girlfriend at the time that I almost kicked her. I didn't do it, but I cocked my foot and it was obvious I was thinking about it, even if just for a split second. She was furious (rightly so) and I started laughing, enfuriating her more. I didn't think it was "funny." I was just so horrified that was the only reaction my body could come up with (well maybe her "furious face" was a little amusing).

I'm still pretty horrified that I almost did it, actually.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not sure if this is "inappropriate", but I was laughing at this thread (not the thread itself, but the article it talks about). It's about a "journalist" who is putting down Macs, and they're ignorance is hilarious. :D Sometimes it actually makes me laugh aloud.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Whenever my mom lectures me I crack up... same with one of my math teachers... because its so obvious that they are trying hard to be "strict..." they get more upset that way!

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was really sorry to hear that news today, MacAztec. I know somebody else at your school, and she told me this evening that there were three in the car, two who died and one who was in critical condition. She said they were going about 80 and weren't wearing seatbelts, despite the lessons taught at a recent driver safety program at the school. Such a shame.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i laugh at the wrong times too, especially at people who are very mad because to me its just not worth it to be that upset over something, no matter what it is

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Doctor Q- I am pretty sure just one of the guys died. The girl is in critical condition, and the 3rd guy was ok. He got a few stitches on his face, but he is home now.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

On the topic of laughing when you shouldn't, this old rerun is shown now and then on TV, or you can simply read about it and smile:

The Chuckles Bites the Dust episode of the Mary Tyler Moore TV show from the 70s.

11. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Sometimes I actually laugh out loud to myself in a public place. It's because I am in a daydream about something really funny, and don't realize I do it until I'm "awakened" by the sound of the laugh.

Other times I'll be in a room with others and we are all sleeping, except it takes me a long time to fall asleep, and after a long period of silence and darkness, I bust out laughing.

I guess it's similar to the above.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I tend to say things that are funny at the wrong times. I have a fairly good deadpan delivery. It's something that I need to work on, but then again, making people laugh isn't a bad thing, is it? Of course, certain times I know to bite my tongue... but others... :rolleyes:

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

A few weeks ago I went in to get the battery changed on a wrist watch and they found that the previous battery had leaked inside. They said I'd have to have it sent in and repair would cost about $300 (expensive brand watch.) My friend laughed out loud and said "See? If you had bought a cheapo watch you wouldn't have this problem!" He realized afterwards that he was being a dick and said "Sorry, I shouldn't be laughing." :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I've had a lot of problems because of that, god, I'm sorry but sometimes I can't stop it and it's a pretty wrong time, something like talking about relationships fidelity and my girl was beside and I had fun about some guy decision to date girls by phone. pretty stupid situation but wrong time... :eek: , I was wastelanded some days.. :eek:

15. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I seem to be cursed with the reflex of laughing when I am really nervouse. There have been times when I've been involved in a serious conversation and for no reason I let out a laugh. Oh man, that sux.

I also seem to drift off sometimes and I'll think of something funny and start laughing out loud. Its hard to stop sometimes. Laughing isnt all that funny sometimes. :mad:

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Non-serious (not permanent) accidents often make us laugh, even if the victim is in a lot of pain. America's Funniest Home Videos demonstrated this. If a man is hit in a sensitive area with a soccer ball, everyone laughs while watching the video. If a baseball outfielder misjudges the distance and runs into the outfield wall at full speed, we laugh. It's the same with another form of pain: severe embarrassment. We laugh if somebody trips and falls flat on their face (or has a wardrobe malfunction) during a scene in the school play.

In all of these cases, laughing may be a sign of our relief that it's not US.

17. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

It sounds like it could be partly just a nervous reaction. Some people laugh at funerals because they don't know how else to deal with it.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

When people burst into tears, I usually get the urge to start laughing. For the most part I can deal with it, but on a couple of occasions, I've had to pretend to be choked up myself. It's not some like, malevolence or something, i don't think it's funny when people are sad, but when they suddenly start crying, something just makes me giggle.

19. mpw Guest

I've cracked up when teachers have been having a go, whether justified or not. I've cracked up when I've been pulled over by the Police. Today I nearly ruined a funeral when me and my sister nearly cracked, so close. I've cracked up a couple of times when dealing with customers on the phone and the poor people don't have a clue what's going on.

On a similar note I have a habit of always finding humor in any situation.

Cancer/death/injury/infidelity they're all good material for a laugh. In my defense laughter really is the best medicine and other than death I've faced each of the above with a laugh.

One of my favorite real life one liners was caught on camera by a news crew at a zoo when a keeper, brand new to the job and untrained, had his arm torn off above the elbow by a Tiger (topical for this site). When the doctor's talking to him while they prep him for emergency surgery he asks the patient if he allergic to anything. In the midst of all that this guys going through (knowing at this point the arms gone for good) he turns cool as you like to the doctor and simply says Tigers. Classic.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

21. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

i sometimes do that too, once during speech class this girl was about to give her spech on origami and she was pretty nervous, so she went on to do her intro and she said "kaboom" and unfolded some weird origami fan like thing that could closed back up, i thought it was SOOOOOO dumb and began laughing, i pretty much ended up laughing through her entire speech, i tried holding it in but i just couldn't and the worst thing too was that i was sitting up in front. :D

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What's that Dr. Hibbert? ;)

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

When I was 15, I worked at McDonalds. This woman that came through the drive through -- her order got screwed up somehow. She started yelling and screaming like a spoiled brat, so instead of helping her I just started laughing at her and walked away.

She was pissed.

Someone else finished her order :p

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A girl asked how you declare war on someone. We were talking about World War One.

I said, "You mail them a letter declaring that you are now at war with them."
    She said, "But they didn't have a post office back then!"

:D
    I made this up a bit later....Linkety

Attached Files:

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's wonderful! But I think you should add
    If you are not the proper person to receive this declaration of war, please forward it to the appropriate authority.
    and also add opt-opt instructions so they don't think you are spamming them with declarations of war after they've gotten a few of them. :D