Launch or play DVD via icon on desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by montom, Sep 6, 2006.

1. montom macrumors member

Hey all, hope you can help me with an Os X question.

The disc icon of a DVD shows up on the desktop, but there is no "open with" option in the info menu, and clicking on the icon just shows the contents.

I could launch DVDPlayer and then manually start the DVD, but it would be nice to have some way of directly launching the DVD from the desktop icon.

Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe some automator action?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

System Preferences -> CD & DVDs -> When you insert video DVD -> Open DVD Player.

3. montom thread starter macrumors member

4. PodHead macrumors member

PodHead

This is all fine and dandy but I don't think that's what the poster (nor I) was looking for. You see, the disk is already in the drive. Yes, the DVD player does play automatically but....when you close the player without ejecting the disk, however, the DVD you were watching remains on the desktop as an icon. We would like to know how can you restart the DVD without manually having to go to apps. then starting the DVD player. Right clicking the icon just brings up files within the DVD (no "open-with" option like you would if you were opening a MP4 file) Sorry for the confusion. Any help would be appreciated:)

5. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Um...put the DVD player app in your dock and click on it? or right or cmd click on the DVD icon and choose open with?

6. PodHead macrumors member

PodHead

We don't want to have to click on the DVD Player. We want to figure out a way to launch it from the icon. Right clicking on the icon DOES NOT give us an option to "open-with".

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Use Automator and save as a plug-in then you can use right-click. The DVD icon is a folder, not an application or single file so you can't expect it to just start an application when you click it.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can expect it in Windows...

I don't watch a lot of DVD's on my Mac but I always wished that double clicking on a DVD on my Desktop would launch the DVD Player.app instead of bringing me to some folders that are essentially useless to almost everybody.

For me though using Spotlight to launch DVD Player.app is about as quick as moving my hand to the mouse anyway. I still think it should be an option though.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't have to buy a cattle ranch if you just want a hamburger. Drag the DVD Player to the Dock. Creat and alias of the DVD Player--what Windows users calll a Shortcut--and place it on the Desktop. Whenever you want to play a DVD, single-click the Dock icon or double-click the Desktop icon.

10. PodHead macrumors member

PodHead

It's a folder!! Right, I get it now. Thanks. I could'nt figure out why we could'nt get an "open-with" option.:rolleyes:

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Th OP has already said they don't want to click the DVD Player icon.

12. lumberjess macrumors newbie

Launch or play DVD via icon on desktop?

I agree ... as much as I hate windows, it would be nice to be able to double-click on the DVD icon on my desktop, or have some keyboard function. Mac is supposed to be simple and user friendly, and although most things are, this seems like such a simple feature why wouldn't it be possible to do? People don't need to be so rude either, it's a simple question ... a simple answer or a tip for a workaround would suffice. :)

13. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

if the disc is already in the drive, just place "DVD PLAYER" in your dock.

When you open it, itll auto-play the dvd. simple.

just saw the dates on this thread! ;)