LaunchBar + TinkerTool = God

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by springscansing, Feb 19, 2003.

1. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Wahoo! For anyone who hasn't installed LaunchBar yet... DO IT. It's awesome. I cannot even explain all it does. Trust me. Just go get it.

Go! Now! Get! www.versiontracker.com

And with tinkertool, I now have my dock on the right side of my screen, but also it starts at the bottom, so my trash is where it should be, and since the dock is far right against the right side of my screen, currently open apps never cover it up.

Wahoo!

I only wish X-Assist supported command-tab app switching. Then I could kill the dock all together!

I'm going to be using X for audio soon, so I am gettign all geared up to make it as quick to work with as possible. That means NO MORE Flurry as a desktop picture, haha.

If anyone else has some apps that make OS X more like OS 9, let me know.

2. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

3. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I just leave open applications in the dock, because I use launchbar to launch apps/bookmarks/files.

I just hit command-space, then type in max, and BOOM, Max/MSP.

Command-space, type in Rea, BOOM Reason.

Command-space, typing in Macr, BOOM Macrumors.

It's very good at recognizing what you want from a few letters. Of course you can type it all out too if you want.

LaunchBar rules! I realize its been out for like ever.. but.. its new to me!

Only good shareware utility I've ever used... except tinkertool.

4. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Aw crap, I wasn't running folding in that picture! hehe

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

nobody would have known....even if they thought about it, you could have been running the console version :p

6. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Even without the terminal running? *ponders*

Either way, I took off LaunchBar. :-( I think it makes my computer freeze on rare occasion. Plus I felt bad for my dock, lol.

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

yup, even without the terminal running....talk to mc68k he can answer any question you have about it....he did for me :D

I actually never tried launchbar until I read your thread....I've been using it and thinking about taking everything out of my dock now....

it's pretty sweet. It freezes your cpu?

8. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I do not know if it freezes it, I'm just very weiry of shareware. I also run two Carracho servers on this computer, so I can't have it dying all the time.

It's probably fine though.

9. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

yeah... but the entire point of the dock is to get away from the 87 icons on the desktop thing that so many lusers do (mac and win)

;)

besides, i just set the dock to hide away, set on the left side. turn of magnification (what junk that is) and keep dock size small. besides, i can just click and hold on Applications (or any other folder i put on the dock) and it will open list of contents.

i prefer the cleanest deskop possible.

--

Question: Why are there 2 "Documents" folders? There is one in the favorites, and the normal one in my user directory. wtf?

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

with toolbar you could probably have the cleanest desktop possible...all it is is a little icon in the upperleft...but you really don't need the dock with it to acess programs...

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

The issue isnt using the dock, the desktop or anything else for me. I use the desktop to temporarily put things, so I know to do something with em....cause it annoys me.

The thing that is nice about LaunchBar thus far is that It saves my wrist the truble of moving away from the keyboard to open things.

When you get a repetitive stress injury on your wrists you'll appreciate it.....trust me.