Launching a mp3 from a browser into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikemodena, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Hey.. I'm trying to install a podcast onto a blog for someone and they need it to be clicked then play in iTunes.. I mean I know I can link directly to the mp3 but since they want it in iTunes, is there some protocol like the itms://address that will make it play in iTunes?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Edit: Completely misunderstood the question... sorry about that, it's the middle of the night here and I obviously need some sleep soon... :eek:

As to your question. I think there's a way to do this but I don't remember which protocol you should use... it might be feed://

Edit2: daap:// could work for sharing, but I don't think that will let you download anything...

Edit3: Podcasting how-to.

3. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Don't you think that's for the user to decide? Personally, I really hate pages that force you to go their way instead of letting you choose (pages that work on one browser only, right-click blockers, pointless flash, links that open a new window, for instance... I know how to open links in new windows, thank you!). I think you should just put the link to the mp3, and if the user has iTunes as his default player, that's where it'll play.

4. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I agree... but it's what I was being paid to do.. They're blog page was all screwy and the xml and rss didn't work correctly, but I still managed to get $30 out of them for my time.. Tonight's been a good night.. getting calls like crazy for webdesign.