Launching Apps zooms icon towards screen

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by skymaXimus, Dec 13, 2003.

1. skymaXimus macrumors regular

I got 10.3 on night of the Panther (whenever that was) and did an archive install in my 12" PB. I love Panther. But I was @ CompUSA yesterday and on all the Panther machines, when you launched an app, it did this sweet Quartz Extreme effect where it zoomed the icon towards the screen making it larger and then fading out. I had never seen this before and was freakin out cuz it looks so cool. Is there a preference that I'm missing? I'm running 10.3.1
    Do I need to do a clean install?

2. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Ha! Yes. Do a clean install. I experienced this the day Panther was released. The zoom icon didn't work, as well as the option + escape (word completion feature), and a handful of other troubles.
    I thought I could get away with just an upgrade, but at the end of the day a clean install brought my mac to where it was suppose to be. Runs great. No problems. So I would say back your stuff up, and do a clean install.

3. skymaXimus thread starter macrumors regular

Everything is running sooo smooth as it is. i hate to go through all that work of backing up all my pref's and stuff and reinstalling my software. ugh! I'll probably do it though.

4. skymaXimus thread starter macrumors regular

Just for kicks I created a new user the other day and the icon zooming works when you launch apps. So, there is probably just a preference file that is corrupt and needs to be trashed. Does anyone have any clue what that file might be?

5. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

I have never seen this!

I did a clean install of 10.3. I also tried creating a new user to test this feature but it didn't happen.

15" ALPB 1.25 GHZ

Anu suggestions?
    Can anybody else confirm/describe this zooming icon behaviour?
    Does it work on your machine?

Thanks

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I've done upgrade installs on two machines and everything works fine.

As far as I can tell, the zoom effect only works on apps that are launched from the Finder; launching from the Dock just does the bouncing icon.
    It's a nifty piece of window-dressing, but it's not worth losing any sleep over.

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

NM. Its clear now...

Never seen this either, I really need to upgrade to Panther.. but from what I've used, I dont like it.

8. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

Thanks, you are correct on both points.
    I will stop worrying now! :)

9. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

I've been running Panther for about 2 months now, and had never seen this effect. Today, i had a wierd problem where the icons on my desktop just disappeared, while the filename remained. If i clicked on the filename, that disappeared too. The 'missing' files weren't in the trash either. I tried repairing permissions, and trashing the finder prefs, but no joy. Then i tried to access the desktop thru a finder window, and was told i didn't have sufficient priviledges. So, i changed to privs back to RW in the Get Info window, and everything was back to normal, and no missing files.

And now my point!

So, now i get the "Zoom out of screen when opening" effect. It's annoying and i want to get rid of it. Since i trashed my finder prefs, i suppose it must be something in there, but i can't work out how to switch it off.

Anyone??

The Void

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

right click on your dock (or ctrl+click if u r using single click mouse) there is a term -minimize using..just change it to scale effect instead of genie effect...

11. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Thanks for replying abhishekit, but it's not the Minimise effect i'm talking about. It's where opening files/programs from the desktop gives a 'Zoom out' effect, ie the icon enlarges towards you.

The Void

12. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

To my knowledge there isn't a way to turn it off, but really is it that bad? It happens for like 2/10 of a second?

macboyX

13. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

No, it's not that bad, i can live with it if i must, but since i didn't use to have the effect, and SkymaXimus doesn't have it either, then i'm assuming that it must be configurable somehow.

The Void

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Isn't there an option in Tinker Tool to disable application zooming?

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

oops ..my mistake...i couldnt find out the setting for zoomout effect..there is a setting in the prefernces..spring loading..i checked it off but still icons are zooming...sorry

16. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Found it!

But in Cocktail, not in Mac OS. Under the Interface section, the Finder tab has a "Disable rectangle effect when opening files" option. I must have set this when i was running Jag, and since i did an upgrade and install, i didn't see it in Panther until i trashed the finder prefs.

SkymaXimus, i'm guessing you had been running Cocktail or something similar in Jag too?

Cheers for all your replies, guys and gals.

The Void
    John Peel is not enough.

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, that makes perfect sense--it's just a straight-across replacement for the rectangle zoom effect (happens on double-clicked documents for me, too, by the way), so anything that disabled that would disable the zoom.

I think it's quite cool, personally.