Launching multiple copies of applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrldwzrd89, Apr 8, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Believe it or not, Mac OS X lets you do this. The method used to do it isn't immediately obvious, however. Here's how it's done (this only works on .app packages and you need access to the Terminal): Select the application, Control-click it, and choose "Show Package Contents". Open the Contents folder, then the MacOS folder. You should see a UNIX executable in there with the same name as the .app package. Double-click that, and a new Terminal window will open, which will then start the application. Double-click it again, and you'll have two Terminal windows, two copies of the application open, and two icons for it in the Dock.

I just discovered this today, and I think it's kinda cool, although largely useless in most cases.
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    This is actually one of the things that frustrates me about Windows.

Double-click file or application.

No feedback

Double-click file or application again to make sure that your clicks didn't miss.

Blam. Blam. Two copies of the same file or application running so that you have to take the time to close one.
  3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Cool. But what would be the use of this?

The only thing I can think of is that I've heard you can speed up After Effects rendering if you have two versions running at the same time. Something about AE not using dual processors, so if you run two copies of it, your then using both processors.