Lava Lamp Left on Stove Explodes, Kills Man

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Location:
    Sactown
    #1
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #2
    If this guy hasn't procreated yet, I'd say he's up for a Darwin award.

    Also, it sounds like we need more regulations on the purchase of lava lamps.
     
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #3
    lava lamps have always been dangerous, i know many a person who has been burned by them, they arent the most practical of things either, but whos to say whats 'cool' and whats not

    putting one on the stove though is just being an idiot, sad that the guy died, but a very foolish thing to do
     
  4. virividox macrumors 601

    virividox

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    #4
    well one less idiot to take up precious oxygen the hell was he putting a lamp ont he stove to begin with
     
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #5
    Stupidity: 1, that guy: -1 (because when you die of your own work in Medal of Honor, you lose a point ;))
     
  6. goodwill macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Those were my thoughts exactly. His poor family and friends. What a way to find out.
     
  7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

    StarbucksSam

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #7
    What an idiot. I'm sorry, but really. What a COMPLETE idiot. I'm sorry it cost him his life, but I mean... people should use their brains. What a shame.
     
  8. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Location:
    Sactown
    #8
    I suspect alcohol or drugs were involved. Case in point:

    A buddy of mine came back drunk and hungry from a night out on the town. So what did he do? He put an unopened can of SPAM directly on the stove. Of course it blew up and of course he was standing right in front of it when it happened, "watching" it heat up. He was winged by the now hot pull tab thingy and still has a scar to show for it. He's lucky it didn't put his eye out.

    I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened...except this guy was stoned. :)
     
  9. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #9
    At least this guy didn't take anyone with him.
     
  10. srobert macrumors 68020

    srobert

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2002
    #10
    Come on. don't be so harsh on the guy. Maybe he really liked Lava-Lamp-Blobs-Stew and he had run out of clean cauldrons.
     
  11. asif786 macrumors 65816

    asif786

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #11
    sometimes the 'lava' in the lamp goes rock hard and you need to 'melt' it. Maybe that's what this guy was trying to do..

    I'm not saying it wasnt stupid of him, but you dont normall say 'Hmmm..why dont I just see what happens if I put my lava lamp on a stove' do you?

    Or maybe he was just an idiot. Now we'll never know..

    /asif
     
  12. G4scott macrumors 68020

    G4scott

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2002
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #12
    Maybe, in an assassination attempt, somebody replaced the lava with plastic explosive, and sold it to the guy or gave it to him for free, telling him just to heat it on a stove to make the wax melt...
     
  13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #13
    -No! Please God no!

    We shouldn't be putting in any more warning labels, regulations, laws, bureaucracy, red tape, or safety tips that simple plain common sense should dictate.

    In short: I don't know about you all, but I sure don't want to suffer for another's stupidity, or greed.
     
  14. dotnina macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    #14
    I suspect the original poster was being sarcastic. (I hope?! :eek: )
     
  15. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #15
    Dude, I was kidding.
     
  16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #16
    -mactastic

    Whew. For a second there I though I'd have to drive up over the summit to slap you silly and call you Susan.

    Overregulation is a hotbutton for me - in case you can't tell. :D
     
  17. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #17
    I know, all those regulations about what consenting adults can do piss me off too.
     
  18. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #18
    -mactastic

    Oh, yeah. You know I moved to California from Chicago a few months ago, and that was one of the changes I had to get used to. Prop 65.

    Give me a break! How much money is being spent on the writing, design, approval, printing, materials, and posting of signage that "The gasoline at this location has been shown to cause death".

    If there ever were a proposal for a constitutional amendment that stated "You have the right to be stupid enough commit acts that hurt yourself without subjecting others to the ramifications of said act." I'd be first in line to vote in support.

    Oh, btw, I had a Lava Lamp, and it too exploded. But mine was odd, it was being used properly, in it's stand, prescribed lamp, etc. I was just sitting there, watching the tv that it was sitting on, when -bloosh-, fluid and wax all over the place and a big hunk of that glass hit me in the head (broadside). That's thick, heavy glass too - hurt like hell.
     
  19. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

    StarbucksSam

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #19
    That's um.. one of those things that you don't leave on for too long. Turn it on for a few hours, then off.

    I guess the lava lamp people will now place "This should not be placed on a stove. May cause severe injury or death." on their labels. Oy vey.
     
  20. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #20
    OTOH you can also run into problems with underregulating as well. Although that typically doesn't apply to consumer products.

    BTW, you'll have to drive a lot farther than 'over the hill' to slap me. Unless you want to schedule it for Xmas when I'll actually be in Santa Cruz.
     
  21. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

    OldManJimbo

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2004
    Location:
    California Coast
    #21
    TV script writers will LOVE this one

    I can't wait until next year when this scenario becomes a plot on CSI. Then a few weeks later on Boston Legal when Allen Shore takes on a client whose son was killed by an exploding lava lamp.

    We may also see a 60 Minutes segment where Dan Rather uncovers an insidious plot to overthrow the government of Maldavia by sending them hundreds of Lava Lamps minus their plug-in base.

    Hmm - I wonder if Tom Ridge quit at Homeland Security because he knows something about a deadly terrorist plot to kill us off with Lava Lamps, and Karl Rove won;t let him say anything because Newt Bush (the long lost half-brother) actually owns a majority interest in Lava Lamps, Inc.? :D
     
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #22
    My parents had a Lava Lamp, the Lava was red. They had it on top of the TV. It was quite mesmerizing to watch.

    People do stupid things, in this case he paid with his life. My prayers go out to his family and friends. :(
     

Share This Page