Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
If this guy hasn't procreated yet, I'd say he's up for a Darwin award.

Also, it sounds like we need more regulations on the purchase of lava lamps.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
lava lamps have always been dangerous, i know many a person who has been burned by them, they arent the most practical of things either, but whos to say whats 'cool' and whats not

putting one on the stove though is just being an idiot, sad that the guy died, but a very foolish thing to do

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
mactastic said:
If this guy hasn't procreated yet, I'd say he's up for a Darwin award.

Those were my thoughts exactly. His poor family and friends. What a way to find out.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
I suspect alcohol or drugs were involved. Case in point:

A buddy of mine came back drunk and hungry from a night out on the town. So what did he do? He put an unopened can of SPAM directly on the stove. Of course it blew up and of course he was standing right in front of it when it happened, "watching" it heat up. He was winged by the now hot pull tab thingy and still has a scar to show for it. He's lucky it didn't put his eye out.

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened...except this guy was stoned. :)

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Come on. don't be so harsh on the guy. Maybe he really liked Lava-Lamp-Blobs-Stew and he had run out of clean cauldrons.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
sometimes the 'lava' in the lamp goes rock hard and you need to 'melt' it. Maybe that's what this guy was trying to do..

I'm not saying it wasnt stupid of him, but you dont normall say 'Hmmm..why dont I just see what happens if I put my lava lamp on a stove' do you?

Or maybe he was just an idiot. Now we'll never know..

/asif

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Maybe, in an assassination attempt, somebody replaced the lava with plastic explosive, and sold it to the guy or gave it to him for free, telling him just to heat it on a stove to make the wax melt...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
mactastic said:

-No! Please God no!

We shouldn't be putting in any more warning labels, regulations, laws, bureaucracy, red tape, or safety tips that simple plain common sense should dictate.

In short: I don't know about you all, but I sure don't want to suffer for another's stupidity, or greed.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
patrick0brien said:
-No! Please God no!

We shouldn't be putting in any more warning labels, regulations, laws, bureaucracy, red tape, or safety tips that simple plain common sense should dictate.

In short: I don't know about you all, but I sure don't want to suffer for another's stupidity, or greed.

I suspect the original poster was being sarcastic. (I hope?! :eek: )

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
patrick0brien said:
-No! Please God no!

Dude, I was kidding.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
mactastic said:
Dude, I was kidding.

-mactastic

Whew. For a second there I though I'd have to drive up over the summit to slap you silly and call you Susan.

Overregulation is a hotbutton for me - in case you can't tell. :D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
patrick0brien said:
-mactastic

Whew. For a second there I though I'd have to drive up over the summit to slap you silly and call you Susan.

Overregulation is a hotbutton for me - in case you can't tell. :D

I know, all those regulations about what consenting adults can do piss me off too.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
mactastic said:
I know, all those regulations about what consenting adults can do piss me off too.

-mactastic

Oh, yeah. You know I moved to California from Chicago a few months ago, and that was one of the changes I had to get used to. Prop 65.

Give me a break! How much money is being spent on the writing, design, approval, printing, materials, and posting of signage that "The gasoline at this location has been shown to cause death".

If there ever were a proposal for a constitutional amendment that stated "You have the right to be stupid enough commit acts that hurt yourself without subjecting others to the ramifications of said act." I'd be first in line to vote in support.

Oh, btw, I had a Lava Lamp, and it too exploded. But mine was odd, it was being used properly, in it's stand, prescribed lamp, etc. I was just sitting there, watching the tv that it was sitting on, when -bloosh-, fluid and wax all over the place and a big hunk of that glass hit me in the head (broadside). That's thick, heavy glass too - hurt like hell.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That's um.. one of those things that you don't leave on for too long. Turn it on for a few hours, then off.

I guess the lava lamp people will now place "This should not be placed on a stove. May cause severe injury or death." on their labels. Oy vey.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
OTOH you can also run into problems with underregulating as well. Although that typically doesn't apply to consumer products.

BTW, you'll have to drive a lot farther than 'over the hill' to slap me. Unless you want to schedule it for Xmas when I'll actually be in Santa Cruz.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
TV script writers will LOVE this one

I can't wait until next year when this scenario becomes a plot on CSI. Then a few weeks later on Boston Legal when Allen Shore takes on a client whose son was killed by an exploding lava lamp.

We may also see a 60 Minutes segment where Dan Rather uncovers an insidious plot to overthrow the government of Maldavia by sending them hundreds of Lava Lamps minus their plug-in base.

Hmm - I wonder if Tom Ridge quit at Homeland Security because he knows something about a deadly terrorist plot to kill us off with Lava Lamps, and Karl Rove won;t let him say anything because Newt Bush (the long lost half-brother) actually owns a majority interest in Lava Lamps, Inc.? :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My parents had a Lava Lamp, the Lava was red. They had it on top of the TV. It was quite mesmerizing to watch.

People do stupid things, in this case he paid with his life. My prayers go out to his family and friends. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.