Lavabit Email Shuts down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SJism23, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

The creator behind Lavabit, the secure, encrypted email provided used by Edward Snowden, has shut his service down. Here's an open letter he posted on lavabit.com:

Seems like the govt. wants backdoor access to Snowden's emails. What do you guys think about the situation?

P.S. If you feel compelled, you can donate to Lavabit's legal fund.

2. macrumors regular

Hate to say it - but with the way things are looking it wouldn't shock me to see the govt crack down on encrypting in the coming years, similar to some "other" countries the US demonizes.

I have a feeling it'll get to the point if you have some 4096-bit encrypted file and the govt thinks it contains something - the mere fact it is so highly encrypted will be used as evidence against you.

3. macrumors 68040

bradl

But they have to prove that it is something highly valuable in that encrypted email, which they wouldn't really be able to do without that password to decrypt. And here is precedent for not being compelled to give up that password.

This all smacks of the PGP fiasco from 20 years ago that Philip Zimmerman went through. This makes programs like PGP and GnuPG all that much more important as far as privacy goes.. but more than that, there's that adage that 'those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it'... well, here we are again.

BL.

4. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this is one of the "NSA letters" I've heard rumors about. Apparently they have sent cease and desist letters to some companies saying that disclosure of the letter - even to one's lawyer - is illegal and constitutes a national security threat.

This is entirely out of control, but I don't see it changing unless we have some massive reordering of how our government and national security process works.

5. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    SilentCircle shut down their encrypted email service now as well.

I think it's dawning on providers that they can't really protect your data after all.

6. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have been following this story with considerable interest; not, I must say, the finest hour of the current administration.

It also seems that the perceived lack of privacy, or protection of your data, in encrypted email services may be hurting some US businesses as users abroad (i.e. Europe and elsewhere) seek other services which do not have links to the US.

7. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Steve Gibson, security expert, just tweeted,
    If people want secure communications, they need to encrypt their emails, locally, on their own machines and then send them out. Of course, the recipient also needs to be set up with encryption in order to read the email or open a file.

Its all quite simple with the free and open source GPGtools. It's what I use to encrypt and digitally sign my emails.

8. macrumors 6502a

This is just the first step. Next up: encryption becomes illegal for personal data, period.

We're living in a police state, and it's getting worse every day.

$&@$ all of you politicians. Shame on you, Obama, Liar in Chief.

-t

9. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This was already tried in the 1990's in a way.

Wikipedia:

10. macrumors 68020

niuniu

There is a huge market here for an email provider in a 'non-complicit' territory to provide a popular email service out of the NSA's reach. Maybe Kim DotCom could bankroll it.

Finger's crossed something springs up out of all this mess.

11. macrumors 6502a

With the Patriot Act as a backing, they'll be successful this time around.

-t

12. macrumors 68040

bradl

Wrong. They won't. The Patriot Act is not going to trump to validations of the 1st Amendment, no matter how much you try to make this out to be Obama's fault. If anything, shouldn't you be blaming the 2000-2004 Congress and President Bush for passing this in the first place?

Oh wait.. I forget.. Everything is Obama's fault nowadays. :roll eyes:

BL.

13. macrumors 6502a

WTF ?

Show me where I ever said it's not Bush's fault at all, and ONLY Obama's fault.
    Both parties are completely complicit in this.

If anything, one could say that Bush was at least more honest about it than Obama. At least Bush didn't promise more transparency.

-t

14. macrumors 68040

bradl

You didn't have to. Your post above says quite enough:

It also shows the type of person you are if you'd rather the government be dishonest about the surveillance they are doing and trying to cover it up. Oh wait.. Watergate and Iran-Contra must not have been good enough.

In short, you need to blame ALL of government, not just basing your anger towards Obama. But you certainly didn't do that, especially with the above referenced.

Mods, I see this going PRSI from this point. Feel free to move it, should you need.

BL.

15. macrumors 6502a

Good enough for you to make a bunch of ASSumptions ?

I DO blame all government (whatever that means), but Obama is POTUS, he has the power to change stuff, but he isn't. Therefore, I blame him MORE than past presidents that have no more power to change stuff (whether they wanted or not.)

I also blame the Republicans for being such a weak sauce opposition and basically complicit in all this crap.

I blame the supreme court for becoming a bunch of activist judges that lost sight of the constitution.

And I blame the citizen of the USSA for letting their country go to waste, and not standing up to stop all this.

Yes, blame for where we as a country have come to goes all around.

-t

16. macrumors 68020

localoid

The Electronic Frontier Foundation article, Lavabit Encrypted Email Service Shuts Down, Can’t Say Why, makes some interesting observations regarding the closing of Lavabit. Brief quote from the article follows:

17. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Assuming your talking Kim "Kimble" Schmitz ?? That guy has a long history of ratting out other to save his own neck. Back in the days of "copy parties" for Amiga-game floppies he even worked with a rather notorious&criminal lawyer to extort large sums from unexpecting teenagers lured in by images of cute girls.

You might also wonder why HE from got away Megaupload without major bruises.

In short, if I had to trust my data to a 'non-complicit' Kim I'd rather use the short guy with the funny hairstyle !!

18. macrumors 68020

niuniu

Need more detail on him ratting people out to the authorities. If he has a long history of it like you claim - it's odd I can't find it by searching.

19. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Well most of it happened before the internet really started, and he's very smart when it comes to avoid prosecution.

On top of that his past misdoings were done just within the German Amiga/C64 "underground" communities of the late 80s/early 90s so very few people know the exact details.

His english and german wikipedia entries should give you some pointers (and rest assured he is the kind of guy who would fight to the teeth to have those changed if they contained any incorrect data).

So yes, I would still rather trust my data to Kim Jong Un :p

20. macrumors 68020

niuniu

Sorry I'm looking for specific situations where he ratted people out

21. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

22. macrumors 68020

niuniu

23. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

And the biggest one is floating above his neck !!

24. macrumors 68020

I agree. Sadly it's the uneducated masses that blindly empower the person at the top to do as he pleases consequence free. They also empower him to take time off for leisure, instead of doing the right thing. The trail of wreckage left behind will take decades to be revealed.

25. macrumors 601

Technarchy

The feds don't like being bucked. This type of action will lead to the owner's housed getting raided by SWAT for dubious reasons and a string of DOJ, DHS, NSA, and IRS investigations.

Federal judges would be up your ass with subpoenas and warrants served by federal marshals in full tactical gear.

You'd be asking for pain like you can't imagine by getting into this business.