Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
What a fascinating find!

In an eight-day dig in the property, near Tisbury, archaeologists also found coins, jewelry, pottery, a well, under-floor heating pipes, and the shells of hundreds of oysters and whelks, which had apparently been farmed, harvested and then carried 45 miles into the countryside in barrels of salt water, indicating that the Roman owners were people of some standing and wealth.

Historic England called the find “unparalleled in recent years,” in part because the remains of the villa, with its outbuildings, were so undisturbed, and it is hoping to get more funds for a more complete dig. It estimates that the villa had 20 to 25 rooms on the ground floor alone.

Dating from between A.D. 175 and 220, the home is thought to have been three stories high, and survived the collapse of the Roman Empire and the rise of the Saxons.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36062538
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/w...rden-unparalleled-remains-of-roman-villa.html

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Wonderful story.

Read that yesterday in the Guardian (and checked it out later on the BBC). Mind you, it never occurred to me to make a thread about it, so thank you for doing so.

Terrific story. Some of those parts of England & Wales are amazing: A few years ago, friends of mine brought me to Caerleon, to visit the only (fully excavated) Roman amphitheatre in the UK. It was spell binding, and wonderfully unexpected that far north under grey British skies.

Years earlier, when observing an election in Istria, in Croatia in January 2000, the municipal authorities in Pula very kindly opened the stunning amphitheatre - which dated from the time of the late Roman Republic, in other words, it predated Imperial Rome - for myself and my colleague (and our two local staff) when our travels brought us there. Extraordinary. We sat there for ages, and walked the sand of the arena. Two thousand years later, the sight lines were perfect and the acoustics extraordinary.

But that story is absolutely fascinating, and the quality of what still remains is superb. And it is something I find rather moving, too, in a way.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I hope it continues to receive some attention, as I'd love to hear about what they discover and infer about the place. It'd be a shame to have to wait years and have to scour archeology journals just to read more!

Oh, yes. You can rest assured that it will.

Indeed, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of those wonderful BBC documentaries broadcast in a year or two, documenting and describing what has transpired in that Wiltshire farm, and following whatever discoveries have been unearthed in a meticulous chronological and historical format.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Oh, yes. You can rest assured that it will.

Indeed, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of those wonderful BBC documentaries broadcast in a year or two, documenting and describing what has transpired in that Wiltshire farm, and following whatever discoveries have been unearthed in a meticulous chronological and historical format.

That would be brilliant.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That would be brilliant.

Well, given the extraordinary, quite gripping, and utterly absorbing documentary that was made about the disinterring of the remains of Richard III in 2013 - which were found under a municipal car-park in Leicester, which itself had been built in the vicinity of - and over - the Greyfriars friary church that had stood on that site (where Richard presumably had been buried originally after the Battle of Bosworth) until the Reformation, when it had been demolished and destroyed - and the interest that this story is bound to generate, I would be astonished if a good documentary was not made to explain and explore this matter further.

Reactions: JamesMike

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, given the extraordinary, quite gripping, and utterly absorbing documentary that was made about the disinterring of the remains of Richard III in 2013 - which were found under a municipal car-park in Leicester, which itself had been built in the vicinity of - and over - the Greyfriars friary church that had stood on that site (where Richard presumably had been buried originally after the Battle of Bosworth) until the Reformation, when it had been demolished and destroyed - and the interest that this story is bound to generate, I would be astonished if a good documentary was not made to explain and explore this matter further.

Oh, yes I remember when Richard III was found. Hmm, I should check out that documentary.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
There's a whole wealth of archeology programs created by the BBC...

There used to be a regular show called time team which I loved as a young teen.
I watched Time Team for decades - Channel 4. Unfortunately went downhill towards the end but a great example of low-budget but very educational and entertaining TV.

Reactions: JackRoch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.