Law and order returns to Baghdad...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pseudobrit, Apr 9, 2003.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/nat/newsnat-9apr2003-69.htm

:rolleyes: When do we break out the rubber bullets to give these protesters a taste of American order?

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Maybe after they don't wear AKs like we wear purses or cell phones?

Just a thought...

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

"Law and order" returns to Baghdad...

I love that show... :D Oh Wait. . . ..

On a serious note, it is absolutely amazing that we have come as far as we have. I heard yesterday that the Brits were setting up a sheik as head of the local government in Basra. (On the radio, no link)

How many days are we into the confict? Somewhere less than 20? Amazing!

And the civil unrest is totally expected. These people were oppressed for decades. Just human nature I suppose to take advantage of a situation.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was watching this morning as the Iraqis were trying to take down the statue of Sadam in the middle of Baghdad - pretty cool stuff. They were really happy to finally be able to do something like that.

But if I was living in Baghdad over the past 20 days, I'd be really happy to be outside and not have to worry about a bomb possibly dropping on me......

I hope the rest of the country follows swiftly :D

D

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

This Picture was on Fox News: (Eek Conservative Headquarters. ;))

The Kid on the right makes me smile. I have seen my own son make that face. It makes me feel connected. . . .

6. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I think we take for granted that these people have lived under the blanket of fear for a very long time. They're a little excited and probably want stuff they've never had. It'll pass. Regional governments will be in place and order will come.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

those are great pictures, there were talking to some soldiers on the news and they said from this day they finally knew what they were doing over there. i love seeing those guys hit saddam posters with their shoes, which is a very big symbol of disrepect over there.

iJon

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Apparently someone was defecating on some posters of Saddam, too (heard it on NPR this am). :eek:

The visuals of the statue coming down are right up there with Stalin's statue and the Berlin wall. Truly memorable.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im sure they are defacing anything they can get their hands on. on fox news they were burning pictures, hitting statues with axes, hitting him with shoes and all kinds of stuff. truly a great day in bagdad.

iJon

10. ear2ear macrumors member

Unless of course you happen to be a busboy at that restaurant that was bombed yesterday.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, trully a historic day.

I love "Law & Order" also, all 3. ;)

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

:D That should make it in the poop thread.. Where is eye when you need him. ;)

13. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

DEFECATING!! Rower_CPU said defecating, not DEFACING.:D

I sure hope they aren't getting their hands on anything that they've defecated on!!:D

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha, i over looked the word, thats really funny. thanks for correcting me.

iJon

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its war, things happen like this, it just something that happens.

iJon

16. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Whilst it's great to see people that feel liberated it's worth bearing in mind that you may only see what's actually in the frame of the picture. If you pulled back from the picture of the statue being toppled you'd see this...

Originally from here

17. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A city of 5 million and only 300-500 people appear to celebrate at a time?

Doesn't quite add up to jubilation in the streets...

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Considering there is still fighting going on in the city I'd assume most people are staying put under cover. Especailly since the Iraq troops have a tendency to target civilians.

Lethal

19. ddtlm macrumors 65816

pseudobrit:

Do you think they announced that they were going to tear down the statue at such-and-such time, or something? Oh, but now that I see this is pseudobrit posting, I'm not surprised. First it's anti-war, then anti-cops in that one thread I remember, and now you insist on believing that the Iraqis are not actually happy. Now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd be more impressed if your opinion appeared to change with the situation.

20. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It was conveniently just down the street from the Hotel that all the media stay in - handy that.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think it's undeniable the US media painted the rally as much bigger than the photo above implies. what i saw on tv made it look huge, but this photo gives me pause.

i've seen some dodgy reports floating around the internet that this exile-led militia group was spotted in the crowd, implying they'd been brought in to act as the cheering baghdad civilians.

i'll reserve judgement to see if any reputable sources pick up on it.

22. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Whilst pseudobrit has been a bit antagonistic at times - playing devils advocate - he has been quite consistent.
    1. He doesn't think you should bomb and invade someone else's country without a good reason. He doesn't think securing oil supplies is a good reason. The real reason certainly is nothing to do with the liberation of the Iraqi people. Maybe for Tony Blair it is...
    2. He doesn't rhink you should shoot at protesters without a good reason. The fact no police were injured and several protesters and bystanders were tends to suggest it was a bit one-sided.
    3. He doesn't believe that everything in Iraq is somehow now magical and peaceful and that the destruction of a statue by a small gang is more representative of Iraq at the moment than the marauding armed gangs stealing anything not nailed down.

23. toontra macrumors 6502

Originally posted by ddtlm
    " Oh, but now that I see this is pseudobrit posting, I'm not surprised. First it's anti-war, then anti-cops in that one thread I remember, and now you insist on believing that the Iraqis are not actually happy. Now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd be more impressed if your opinion appeared to change with the situation."

I presume that you yourself will keep a flexible opinion as news reaches you.
    How about the fact that anarchy has broken out in Bagdad, with people (civilians) being lynched and stoned to death in the streets? How about hospitals being looted with incubators, dialysis machines, etc being wheeled out the doors by thugs? How about the reports that Iraqis are more terrified now than they were during the bombing. All this with US troops standing back taking no action whatsoever.
    The source for these reports is the BBC. No doubt this is itself only part of the story but, as was said earlier, you really must try to look beyond the camera frame - being fed news like convenience food is not healthy.

24. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Maybe to the press in the hotel opposite they did.
    link