'Law & Order' Star Jerry Orbach Dies at 69

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Dec 29, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    'Law & Order' Star Jerry Orbach Dies at 69

NEW YORK (Dec. 29) - Actor Jerry Orbach, who played a sardonic, seen-it-all cop on TV's ''Law & Order'' and scored on Broadway as a song-and-dance man, has died of prostate cancer at 69, a representative of the show said Wednesday.

Orbach died Tuesday night in Manhattan after several weeks of treatment, Audrey Davis of the public relations agency Lippin Group said.

When his illness was diagnosed, he had begun production on NBC's upcoming spinoff ''Law & Order: Trial By Jury,'' after 12 seasons playing Detective Lennie Briscoe in the original series. His return to the new show had been expected early next year.

On Broadway, Orbach starred in hit musicals including ''Carnival,'' ''Promises, Promises'' (for which he won a Tony Award), ''Chicago'' and ''42nd Street.''

Earlier, he was in the original cast of the off-off-Broadway hit ''The Fantasticks,'' playing the narrator. The show went on to run for more than 40 years.

Lights on Broadway marquees were expected to be dimmed for one minute at curtain time Wednesday night in Orbach's memory.

Among his film appearances were roles in ''Dirty Dancing,'' ''Prince of the City'' and ''Crimes and Misdemeanors.'' In the animated feature ''Beauty and the Beast,'' he voiced the role of the candlestick, and got to sing a key song, ''Be Our Guest.''

Orbach is expected to appear in early episodes of ''Law & Order: Trial by Jury,'' for which he continued as Briscoe in a secondary role, when the show premieres later this season, Davis said.

''I'm immensely saddened by the passing of not only a friend and colleague, but a legendary figure of 20th century show business,'' said Dick Wolf, creator and executive producer of the ''Law & Order'' series, in a statement. ''He was one of the most honored performers of his generation. His loss is irreplaceable.''
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My prayers go out to the family and friends of Jerry Orbach. I was sad when he left "Law & Order" at the end of last season. Wasn't aware of the upcoming show ''Law & Order: Trial By Jury." Hopefully we will get to see whatever of the episodes that were finished. He must have had a very fast growing form of prostate cancer.

You will be missed Jerry, may you now rest in peace. :(
  3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I was very saddened when I read this today. Jerry Orbach was a great actor with such a distinguished career. He was excellent on "L&O" for all those years, and I was really looking forward to seeing him on "Trial by Jury." His time on Broadway was really amazing, and he was an accomplished musical singer (as everything from El Gallo in the original production of The Fantasticks to Lumiere in Disney's animated version of Beauty and the Beast).

Rest in Peace, Jerry. You will be missed.
  4. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Yeah, I just saw this. I heard he was sick, but it still seems so sudden. He will be missed.
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Jerry Orbach will be greatly missed. I loved him as the sarcastic detective on Law & Order, one of my favorite shows. L&O just isnt the same without him. May he Rest in Peace.
  6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    I'm actually really saddened by this, I spent a lot of afternoons of my college career watching Lennie Briscoe on L&O syndication. He was really one of my favorite actors and I identify the good seasons because they star Jerry. It sucks and he'll be missed.
  7. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    :( Very sad indeed. My wife and I are L&O addicts - LOVED Jerry Orbach's dry "acting" style. He will truly be missed.

Last Xmas I bought my wife a L&O coloring book - check it out here:

Law and Order Coloring Book

You will be missed Jerry...
  8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    still cracks me up that he was the father in dirty dancing... i always enjoyed him much more on law and order.
  9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

He was the man on Law and Order, always a good witty joke. He was a veteran actor which gave the show a solid foundation. I'm going to miss him in the new L&O episodes. L&O SVU just does not cut it.
  10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    I only watched L&O occasionally, but there's no doubt he was a very good actor. It's a shame.
  11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My thought and prayers to his family too.

He will be missed. I was looking forward to his return as Lennie in the new L&O franchise series.
  12. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    Just caught this on the site now, this came as an awful shock. Living in the UK we only hear about the biggest hollywood players not the really talented folks. My thoughts go, along with yours, to his friends and family. 2004 really has been a bad year for losing people or maybe I've just noticed them more.
    In the UK I haven't seen any of the L&O episodes without him yet but as a fan was looking forward to seeing him in the new spin off. I read somewhere that he had felt it was time to move on to new things with his career which was why he didn't resign his contract, I wonder if this illness prompted that action.
    On a slight side note I've really enjoyed watching L&O Criminal Intent (Vincent D'Onofrio is another very underated actor IMHO) but having heard this news a thought will go out whenever I do to the memory of Jerry.

13. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Akron, OH
    Next time you are at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, stop by The Enchanted Tiki Room, where Jerry took over Paul Frees job and voice Pierre, and then go over to Mickey's Philharmagic where he also did the voice of Lumier doing "Be Our Guest".