Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Given up figuring out what to do with those America Online CD-ROMs clogging up your mailbox? A California lawmaker has a plan.

Assemblywoman Loni Hancock (D-Berkeley) recently introduced a bill that would require companies that mail CDs or DVDs in unsolicited bulk to include self-addressed, stamped envelopes. That would easily allow people who don't want to receive another offer for 1,000 free minutes of AOL, for instance, to mail the CD back to the company or to a processing plant that recycles CDs

Leave it to California... All in all it sounds like a good idea to me :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Sparky's said:
Leave it to California... All in all it sounds like a good idea to me :D

Recycling is a good thing. California usually leads trends.

They also make nice coasters.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
I'm a fifth generation Californian that migrated to Up-State New York, so yes I know about CAs recycling. To bad New York won't except raw aluminum i the recylcing arena... but anyway, a co-worker uses them to make hanging mobiles in his vegetable garden. He says they make a real effective "Scare Crow" :cool:

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I had a beat up old van I used to drive around. I was very tempted to use epoxy all the AOL etc. cd's to it in an attemp to hold it together. I never got around to it, though. Maybe that's why it rusted to pieces. :p

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Sparky's said:
1,000 free minutes of AOL

???

I think that's hours.... and it's 1045. Don't know how they got that number. The time has to be used in a 45 day trial, and there are 1080 hours in 45 days. That means 35 hours of downtime! Boo!

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Nny said:
???

I think that's hours.... and it's 1045. Don't know how they got that number. The time has to be used in a 45 day trial, and there are 1080 hours in 45 days. That means 35 hours of downtime! Boo!

isnt 1045 around the number of actual megabytes in a gig or am i on crack? maybe aol was making a geeky joke.

if anyone's interested in the downfall of AOL, read "There Must be a Pony in Here Somewhere" by Kara Swisher on the AOL/TIME WARNER debacle...its wonderful.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Sounds like a good idea to me. I've got an AOL account that I retain at $4 per month, purely to have emergency dialup access if ever needed...I haven't used it in 3 years. They still manage to send me those CD's though.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I hate getting all those AOL CDs in the mail and seeing them at the book store, malls, arcade, etc.

When I first got a cabel modem, I tryed to cancel my AOL account, and they gave me 3 free months. So what I did was downlaod a ton of stuff that I need (updates, games, etc. eventually totaling 12GB ) and would us the regular modem to surf the internet. :p

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Nny said:
???

That wasn't me, sorry I should have posted this link at the beginning.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5193717.html

Our local Post Office has a huge display right at the front of the line as you wait to get stamps ot whatever, there's a big display with hunbreds of CDs for the taking (one each please :D )

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i still get the cds occasionally, but not very very often anymore. i had a contest one time with my neighbor. it was see who could throw them the farthest type of thing.
i won :D

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I maintain the $5/month AOL account for my primary email (though as soon as I come up with a good domain name it will become a spam-catcher and site registration account). But somehow AOL still sends me the CDs, even though they've got my address....

Pity they can't at least send CD-RW's instead so the disc could be re-used the way the AOL floppies could be. The tin boxes make nice kitschy CD holders though.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Nooo!

Send them to me!

I am collecting AOL cd's.

Seriously.

I am going to send them into nomoreaolcds.com

Please PM me if you are intrested and send me your unwanted AOL cd's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.