Lawmaker to AOL: You've got mail

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sparky's, Apr 17, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Leave it to California... All in all it sounds like a good idea to me :D

2. macrumors P6

wdlove

Recycling is a good thing. California usually leads trends.

They also make nice coasters.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I'm a fifth generation Californian that migrated to Up-State New York, so yes I know about CAs recycling. To bad New York won't except raw aluminum i the recylcing arena... but anyway, a co-worker uses them to make hanging mobiles in his vegetable garden. He says they make a real effective "Scare Crow" :cool:

4. macrumors 65816

Roger1

I had a beat up old van I used to drive around. I was very tempted to use epoxy all the AOL etc. cd's to it in an attemp to hold it together. I never got around to it, though. Maybe that's why it rusted to pieces. :p

5. Nny
    macrumors regular

Nny

???

I think that's hours.... and it's 1045. Don't know how they got that number. The time has to be used in a 45 day trial, and there are 1080 hours in 45 days. That means 35 hours of downtime! Boo!

6. macrumors 68020

question fear

isnt 1045 around the number of actual megabytes in a gig or am i on crack? maybe aol was making a geeky joke.

if anyone's interested in the downfall of AOL, read "There Must be a Pony in Here Somewhere" by Kara Swisher on the AOL/TIME WARNER debacle...its wonderful.

7. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

1024 is the magic number when it comes to data/memory.

8. macrumors 6502a

Yeah we have the dirtiest air but WTF lets work on recycling CD's!

9. macrumors 68020

question fear

3 out of 4 numbers...better than usual for me...i should go play the lottery ;)

10. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've got an AOL account that I retain at $4 per month, purely to have emergency dialup access if ever needed...I haven't used it in 3 years. They still manage to send me those CD's though.

11. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I hate getting all those AOL CDs in the mail and seeing them at the book store, malls, arcade, etc.

When I first got a cabel modem, I tryed to cancel my AOL account, and they gave me 3 free months. So what I did was downlaod a ton of stuff that I need (updates, games, etc. eventually totaling 12GB ) and would us the regular modem to surf the internet. :p

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

That wasn't me, sorry I should have posted this link at the beginning.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5193717.html

Our local Post Office has a huge display right at the front of the line as you wait to get stamps ot whatever, there's a big display with hunbreds of CDs for the taking (one each please :D )

13. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i still get the cds occasionally, but not very very often anymore. i had a contest one time with my neighbor. it was see who could throw them the farthest type of thing.
    i won :D

14. macrumors 6502

The boxes make good cd holders and the cds are ok frisbees. Ohh and you can nuke the cds too!

15. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have used the CD's once or twice, but since AOL never updates their Mac version I never need them, I recently dumped AOL for Comcast High Speed, best thing I ever did!

16. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I maintain the $5/month AOL account for my primary email (though as soon as I come up with a good domain name it will become a spam-catcher and site registration account). But somehow AOL still sends me the CDs, even though they've got my address....

Pity they can't at least send CD-RW's instead so the disc could be re-used the way the AOL floppies could be. The tin boxes make nice kitschy CD holders though.

17. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Nooo!

Send them to me!

I am collecting AOL cd's.

Seriously.

I am going to send them into nomoreaolcds.com

Please PM me if you are intrested and send me your unwanted AOL cd's.