Lawrence Lockwood wants $ if you sell online. Got patent.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Feb 8, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    More evidence the world is going into the crapper. Lawrence Lockwood has earned U.S. Patent No. 6,289,319. But in a jist, Lockwood owns the patent rights to sell anything on the internet and he is suing everybody that doesn't pay him his $5,000 license fee. The US Patent Office gave him this patent on September 11, 2001.

If you sell online, you have buy a license from his PanIP Corp. for lots of money, or you will get sued. A lot of ecommerce companys are just settling because the average patent lawsuit costs $2,000,000 to defend in Federal Court.

This is bad for ecommerce and the internet. I don't see how most small businesses can come up with a $5,000 license fee just to sell on the internet.

It get worse:

A former CIA technology officer is bringing EBay Inc. to trial this spring, claiming that the hugely successful trading site is infringing an online auction patent he applied for in 1995 -- six months before EBay began.

Charles E. Hill & Associates, a software firm, is suing 18 e-commerce companies, including EBay, alleging that they violated its patents on an "electronic-catalog system" and a "method of updating a remote computer."

Acacia Research Corp. in Newport Beach has filed legal complaints against 27 adult entertainment Web sites, alleging that they violated its patents on "the transmission and receipt of digital audio and/or video content." The company is demanding licenses from mainstream music and movie companies too.

If you're selling online, at the most recent count there are 4,319 patents you could be violating," said David E. Martin, chief executive of M-Cam Inc., an Arlington, Va.-based risk-management firm specializing in patents. "If you also planned to advertise, receive payments for or plan shipments of your goods, you would need to be concerned about approximately 11,000."
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    good god. i normally favor patent laws very much, but the internet has exploded and these patents have never been enforced. there's no reason to start-- in fact, i think letting a site like eBay operate in violation of a patent you own for years is pretty much giving them permission...

there's just no way to enforce this...

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I thought Al Gore invented the internet so shouldnt he get a cut!
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    First of all he made a bill that gave money to people who looking into a web of computers that were connected. blah blah blah. It becomes the internet as we know it today.

Secondly, if he did create the internet he would have to patent it and trademark everything. So he could get a cut...

God damn patent office giving these patents to EVERYONE!!! AHH.

Next, someone will patent like fire and water production/fiterzation. (sp) and we will all we in a flood without a boat.

5. dricci macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2001
    I'm all for patents, but this is ridiculous. I think some limitations on what can be patented should be put in place.
  6. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    i wonder if the folks who are suing obtained liscences to the technology their patents relied on to work properly (networking technology, hardware, software). if they didn't, those who own said patents could come down equally hard on these a-holes trying to get a piece of Johny-Come-Sell-My-Funny-T-Shirts-Online's pie.

imagine if tomorow Sysco hit Lawrence Lockwood with a $6,000,000,000.00 lawsuit.

Maybe I should file for a patent for selling anything over the phone. Or better yet, for selling anything.
  7. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2001
    I sell lots of things over the internet.
    Sue me :)
    Or does this count in the U.S only again......?