Laws in Computer Games?

Discussion in 'Community' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Nov 13, 2003.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
  2. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    "On April 15, 2004, I will truthfully report to the IRS that my primary source of income is the sale of imaginary goods," he states on his site, "and that I earn more from it, on a monthly basis, than I have ever earned as a professional writer."

that's sad. and by sad, i mean deplorable. and by deplorable, i mean outrageously mother-******** insane.

unless he's a crummy writer, i guess. he probably is. but still, it's really sad how much people will pay for a level 50 character on EverQuest. hard to think i breathe the same air as some of these people...
  3. leet1 macrumors 6502

Nov 3, 2003
    Sold my account for $500, thank you everquest :D

People who play that game are out there, lol
  4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Okay, so suing someone in the real world over what happens in a game is silly. *Unless* it can be shown that the "crime" committed had consequences to the victim in the real world (besides wasting time or emotional distress). Now, maybe the way to keep the real courts out of the mess is to nip the problem in the bud, by creating a court system within the games themselves. Maybe arbiters on request for some games; judges, juries, lawyers, etc in the sims if you get burgaled by some guy at a keyboard in korea. I don't do online gaming, so I don't know exactly the worldview, but if some compromise isn't reached, then the real courts will be forced to step in officially at some point, and that's what no one wants.
  5. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    Keep courts out. You take the risk of dealing with someone in a game for intangible goods. You knew what you were getting into.

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    I play Nolf1 quite alot, I play in the POP clan, People who don't play by the rules genneraly get booted by the host. Eg: Mountain climbing, hiding in walls, being invisable. etc... are things that are frowned apon.