Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm taking the California MPRE (Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam) this November.

For those who have taken the exam, what tips can you give? What did you think of the exam? Easy? Difficult? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Remember, the MPRE is Multistate, what you get in CA is the same as everybody else.

As for the test itself, I got a free class because I had already signed up for B/B for the bar exam. There was a simple mantra that I repeated to myself whenever I was unsure about a question - "Throw the guy under the bus." It worked well enough - I don't thing I did great, but I was easily past the requirements for any jurisdiction.

Good luck. And if you bomb, you can always come to MD - we don't require the MPRE (I took it so I could later waive into DC).

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm going to be going to law school at some point in the future, and I have to admit that I had never heard of this test. Is it an ethics exam? Does it test your moral character?

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
To the OP: Don't worry.

The MPRE is a piece of cake. Anything more than taking the BarBri review session and then studying for about one full day is massive overkill. Most of my friends got perfectly fine scores just by taking the review session and then not studying at all afterward.

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
I'm going to be going to law school at some point in the future, and I have to admit that I had never heard of this test. Is it an ethics exam? Does it test your moral character?

I'm currently taking legal ethics
from what I understand about the MPRE it tests "legal ethics" but has nothing to do with moral character. Character and fitness is a completely different set of hoops to jump through that vary by state.

from what I have been told about the MPRE what you should do is ask what would jesus do and then take several steps back

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm currently taking legal ethics
from what I understand about the MPRE it tests "legal ethics" but has nothing to do with moral character. Character and fitness is a completely different set of hoops to jump through that vary by state.

from what I have been told about the MPRE what you should do is ask what would jesus do and then take several steps back

So in other words it measures your ability to follow legal ethics? I imagine it would ask questions that have to do with conflicts of interest and the like? Whom do you put first, your client or the law, etc?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
So in other words it measures your ability to follow legal ethics? I imagine it would ask questions that have to do with conflicts of interest and the like? Whom do you put first, your client or the law, etc?

Exactly. It's been more than a couple of years since I took the test, but if my recall is right, there were questions about an attorney who was borrowing form his client fund, sleeping with a firm's client that he wasn't representing, loaning money to clients, things like that.

Essentially, the test provides you with scenarios that are borderline (but usually on the unethical side), adds in some extenuating circumstances, and waits for your heart to override your brain.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
The MPRE is very easy. I finished in about 40 minutes after a night of basically no sleep. Studied for it in the parking lot in the time before the exam. Scored far higher than you need to pass in any state. Just take a moment to look over the Bar Bri materials/take the class or take PR at school. When in doubt, just ask what Jesus would do (worked for me, and I'm Jewish!).

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Essentially, the test provides you with scenarios that are borderline (but usually on the unethical side), adds in some extenuating circumstances, and waits for your heart to override your brain.

Thankfully I had my heart removed when I decided I wanted to become a lawyer. :p

Seems like a simple enough test. Kohlberg's Stage 4 seems like it's right up the test's alley.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
To the OP: Don't worry.

The MPRE is a piece of cake. Anything more than taking the BarBri review session and then studying for about one full day is massive overkill. Most of my friends got perfectly fine scores just by taking the review session and then not studying at all afterward.

Yep, that's all the studying I did, and I passed quite easily. Was the same for most of my friends (Nobody I know failed. It's hard to fail.).

Exactly. It's not about what's right, it's about what very specific rules say to do in very specific situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.