'Layar Reality Browser' Returns to App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Augmented reality firm Layar today announced that its iPhone application Layar Reality Browser has reappeared in the App Store after a several-month absence. The much-anticipated application capable of utilizing the camera, GPS, and digital compass on the iPhone 3GS to superimpose data on top of live video had been released last October but was pulled in December for a complete rebuild after users reported a number of issues with the application.
    Layar Reality Browser is a free application compatible with only the iPhone 3GS, due to its reliance on the device's digital compass (not present in earlier models) for orientation and information display.

Article Link: 'Layar Reality Browser' Returns to App Store

2. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Good news. I submitted this article hours ago!

3. macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

Cant wait to see if this thing actualy works.

4. macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Me neither, looks interesting, now that I have a 3GS:)

Must be the timezone difference, lol

5. macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

is it possible to download even though i have a 3G. I mean, can i have it on itunes just in case if it ever goes from a free app to a paid one? I know i can't use it on a 3G but im wondering if i can just have it on itunes just in case

6. macrumors regular

bassanoclapper

I've used the earlier version a few times, was lucky enough to grab it before it was pulled

Is quite impressive

7. macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yes, just so long as you dl it on iTunes (since it just won't allow you to on the iPhone itself). I tried it before for a bunch of 3GS-only apps before I upgraded, and it gave me an error.

8. macrumors regular

I must agree. I loved the app. I didn't even know that it had been pulled. I'm going to have to get the update.

9. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

just curious, why was it pulled ?

...still waiting for Google Voice app to come back...

10. macrumors regular

Cubert

The concept of this app will revolutionize the iPhone platform.

I say "concept" because it's still theirs to lose.

11. macrumors regular

hopefully other developers will start doing this kind of apps so we'll going to have more to choose from

12. macrumors member

I installed this app last night and this morning tried it out - it works surprisingly well

The local layer feature allows you to enter a keyword - I was amazed as dots appeared on the radar for things like swimming, skiing, bank etc with links then provided with contact details - all in a semi-rural area of Scotland.

Excellent app.

13. pmz
    macrumors 68000

Typical MacRumors. Not one sentence in the article on what it does. Far more concerned with the drama of being removed the from App Store now rebuilt with a vengeance.

If its even worth buying, I'd have no idea since that doesn't seem to matter, just that its back.

14. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Buying? It's free just give it a try and you will then know for yourself.

15. macrumors regular

Just downloaded on my 3G and it downloaded and installed fine, DLing in prep for new hardware in June *fingers crossed*

16. macrumors 65816

Agreed. I really like the app and wasn't aware either that it had disappeared. Further, I never had any "issues" with the app so I don't specifically know why it was pulled.

17. macrumors regular

Umm... RTFA?

Not to mention, it wasn't PULLED from the app store by Apple, they pulled it because it was sub-par. From their blog @ http://layar.com/layar-will-be-back-on-the-iphone-soon/

18. macrumors 604

anjinha

There are a few more actually: Robotvision is a good one. Yelp has augmented reality also.

19. macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

Now that I have tried it I can say its pretty good. Needs time to mature. Should be able to turn on all layers at once though maybe you can and I havet found it yet. Should also be able to filter to your tastes.

20. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Its not a bad little app. I could see it being useful when on holiday somewhere new.

Out of interest, how well does it work for the 3g iPhones without the compass? I'm assuming it uses the compass on the 3gs to determine which direction you are facing.

21. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I think they state that it is not for use on a 3G although you can download and install it.

22. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Aah, thanks. I'll check out the description when I'm in front of my Mac!

23. macrumors newbie

24. macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Attached Files:

25. macrumors newbie

This app looks really good but ultimately it is whether the data it stores is sufficient or relevant enough for the user. I haven't seen any information that would be useful to me at this point.