Lazarus? Is that you?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jul 2, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ok, I am no good at titles, so sue me.

Turns out there have been some interesting tests with doggies!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hey beeef, see you made the switch... to contributor

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

didn't notice I could for a bit there, then saw where they made it available at wdlove's request.

I am in no way, shape, or form, a god! or demi either.

ps, sorry about not catching this in communtiy, thought of it as news and didn't see it. Sorry.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

5. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Go back 65 years and watch this . . . .

. . . and see where is all started.

Linky to very strange video . . .

This has got to be the most bizzare research movie I have ever seen on the theme of bringing things back to life. Especially for the time. I think we tend to believe that this day an age we are so much more 'enabled' that a generation (or two) ago, but there was some really quite amazing research happening that laid the ground work for what can be done today.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Glad to see the US government is spending its citizens tax dollars so well.With a eye on continued warfare as well,with all the research thats gone into this(I believe one of the more aware serial killers had the same idea)it would be a shame not to have a war to use it in. :rolleyes:

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The procedure is quite the same as it seemed at first. It seems very doable. Lowering the temperature of the body is the key factor. Some of this is currently done with humans. In the case of severe head trauma the body is put in a chemically induced coma and also lowering of the body temperature. It helps to reduce further swelling and injury. During open heart surgery they are able to stop the heart, put on a bypass machine to provide blood flow, and then shock the heart when the surgery is complete to bring the patient back to life. I certainly hope that this technique will prove successful, sounds very promising for medical treatment in the future.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Of course it's a technology that it would be better to never have to use, but that's not realistic. There will be more wars (and Iraq might still be going in ten years :eek: ;) ), and more victims of violent crime.

I agree that it seems creepy, especially when they insist on attaching the name "zombie" to these dogs, but in truth, I think it's a great project that could possibly save many lives that would otherwise be lost in tragic, violent ways.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I do agree it is a potentially very useful procedure.I didn't read the article correctly I thought the battlefield medics were the ones doing the research.

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Probably inspired by all the people who get trapped under the ice for 4 hours and are successfully resuscitated. There is a saying "Someone isn't dead until they are warm and dead."

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the dog's severed head licking its nose is reeeally eerie!