lC0n MaDdne5S!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Lz0, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Lz0 macrumors regular

Who's sick of their icons just deciding to hop onto a differnet file?

Finding a word doc icon on their empty trash dialogue box, or a very broken looking icon on a series of jpg's but not on all of them.

Come on Apple this has been going on long enough, it's time this was fixed.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This odd problem has been around since Panther was introduced. I don't know why Apple hasn't fixed it yet either. When this happens, I usually get one of four different things:
    1. A random icon belonging to something else
    2. An icon consisting of scaled down versions of other icons tiled together
    3. A garbage icon
    4. No icon at all

Sometimes I get 2 AND 3 also. Force quitting the Finder clears it up temporarily, until it decides to come back on its own.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, this is interesting. Does it hit certain kinds of files, or what? I've never seen it before. I wonder what triggers it.

The closest thing I had, is that when I re-downloaded and installed Firefox recently, somehow, even though there were icons in the contents folder, the app showed up with the default MacOS application icon, instead of the firefox icon. I couldn't figure out how to fix this, and I didn't feel like deleting and re-installing again, so I finally googled around for a more interesting FF icon and threw it into the app in place of the original icon, which shows up fine (thanks to wrldwizard showing me how, that is ;)).

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Same comment as above, relaunch the finder from the force quite window.

I usually only find that my icons start swapping after 2 or 3 weeks or up time (I then just either do a relaunch of the finder or log out. Some times I reboot but that means having to quitting all my apps etc..). The relaunch or log out trick will work.

6. Lz0 thread starter macrumors regular

For me it can start within minutes of a restart. I haven't tested this theory yet but running IE seems to start it happening ... I'll do some tests.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My home folder on the work G5 has now decided it's a calculator.

No matter how often I put my icon back, it reverts back to being a little calculator... guess it's trans-iconic.

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Wow, never seen this behavior...although I shut down my computer regularly.

9. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

So it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me

1 day after i changed the icon of my then 1 day old FW drive on my now 1 week old mini, the icon changed to the one i chose for the internal HD.

Never used IE so that didn't trigger it here.
    I did install firefox

I'm ok with the drive icon for now. I do hope it doesn't start messing up more.