LCD and consoles

Discussion in 'Games' started by AudiGuy, Mar 16, 2006.

1. AudiGuy macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    does anyone else get fuzzy video when playing a console on their LCD screens? i just got the dell 2005fpw today and noticed this problem, but it looks great when im on my computer. help anyone?
  2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    how are u hooking it up? and did u get an LCD Monitor or LCD TV?
  3. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    You've posted the question more than once? So I guess I'll answer it again.

You are using composite phono - which is arse poor a connection at the best of times.

For improvement use Svideo

However there are some important things to remember.

The PS2 resolution is low (to match a TV set) and you are stretching it over a 1680x1050 screen. Not only is the resolution low, but it's interlaced, which means it's basically half the resolution again...

On an LCD the image is never going to look amazing, jaggies will be slightly more jaggie than on CRT TV... You can try the few games which offer progressive scan, but they are so few it's not worth the cost outlay for a VGA adapter.
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Current consoles look bad on LCD screens (well, compared to their CRT brethren). But not to worry. The Revolution has monitor output and plays all Cube games, the PS3 has HDMI or whatever it's called but plays all PS1 and 2 games, and the 360 plays a selection of old Xbox games. Theres a VGA adapter out for the Dreamcast. So what looks bad now will look a lot better as soon as the next gen hit :)

So nutshell. Rev= VGA/DVI (we don't know). PS3= HDMI/DVI/VGA. Xbox 360= VGA. Xbox 1= VGA with a hack.
  5. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    What do you mean with a hack?
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    you have to build your own VGA adapter from either within the Xbox (difficult) or get some cables and adapters and cut into them. EDIT: you can buy a VGA adapter but they are fairly pricey, £50 infact. and then you don't get the lovely warm feeling of having made it yourself.
    The hack is the form of a new Xbox BIOS that supports up to 1080i. which requires a modded Xbox.
    Some commercial games took into account the hacked BIOS and a few games have got HD enabled. Not sure which.

Thats my plan. I found some instructions but it's British only. at least the 'where to buy' instructions. 720p streaming :D