Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Which one would you buy? After reading some reviews, it seems the Gateway is on top. But I personally have NEVER owned anything gateway.. What do you guys think?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Which Gateway and Dell model(s) are you referring to? If you're just trying to generalize, I think Dell LCDs are better. Well, at least that's what the reviews say.

The Dell 1905FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW, and 2405FPW all have great reviews.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
sw1tcher said:
Which Gateway and Dell model(s) are you referring to? If you're just trying to generalize, I think Dell LCDs are better. Well, at least that's what the reviews say.

The Dell 1905FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW, and 2405FPW all have great reviews.

Well the Gateway FPD2185 monitor is very nice. It's HD-ready, but the resolution is the same as the Dell 2005FPW, so that is a moot point. Also, the Gateway is HDCP compliant, so if you are purchasing one now and want to watch whatever content will be HDCP then you should go with Gateway.

I bought the Dell 2005FPW, because I think it looks better, I have no issues with it whatsoever. The Gateway does have component input though, so if you wanted to utilize that, Gateway is the way to go. But the Gateway doesn't come with any cables as far as DVI or VGA. The Dell comes with BOTH

But the Dell is cheaper :) That counts for a lot. And IMO, the gateway looks even more dull than the dell, which is saying a lot.

Get the Dell

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
The new Gateway 21" widescreen LCD looks pretty nice. If it weren't for the price difference between that and the 2005FPW, I would've gotten it. Either way, they're both really great LCD's, and I think the biggest difference is just the price.

Champale

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Chicago, USA
I vote Dell

Don't know about the Gateway but we own two 20" Dell LCDs and have never had a problem with them.

The screens are bright and easy on the eyes. The refresh rate is more than adequate for gaming. The footprint is small. World of Warcraft looks great. Don't know what else I can say except 'two thumbs up' for Dell!

And no, I don't work for Dell. I just did a lot of research before I bought and I'm pretty satisfied with 'em.

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
I have done hours upon hours of research!! I still have not decided. I am very particular about what i spend my money on.. (might not seem like it in my sig).. I like the capabilities of the Gateway, I like how it is a tad bit bigger, but runs the same resolution.. But i need a reality check!! I will basically use the monitor for computer and strictly computer.. I think I am leaning towards a del...... Not 100% sure yet..

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
If you're looking for something that's HDCP compliant (and inexpensive), Dell should have their 20" widescreen 2007FPW out later this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.