LCD display- Apple vs. Dell UltraSharp

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pongbat, Jan 23, 2004.

1. pongbat macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
    I have my eye on a new G5 and I am looking at the display possibilities. I know the Apple 17" Studio Display is a solid monitor and nice looking. But for $749.25 I can get a Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1" LCD with 16ms Total Average Response, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, and 4 USB. That's a lot more screen real estate for a little more money. Does anyone have experience with one of these displays? Any comments about how the quality compares to the Apple displays?

(PS. The Apple 20" Cinema Display is out of my price range)

2. pongbat thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
  3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    if it were me, I would buy the dell. buy the display for what you need.

apple displays are good for some things, but (in comparison) their brighness and pixel response is not-so-hot. (then again, i haven't checked the stats on apple's monitors in a while)

in my opinion, a larger screen with more real-estate is a GOOD thing. if it is bright, good contrast, and a fast pixel response time then I would go for it.
  4. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Get the dell. Why? You are obviuosly a computer literate person. Therefore you dont need what Apple offers you:
    +Single power/usb/video cable
    +One button on display
    +Very Simple controls
    +All functions controlled via System Preferneces.

You like the Dell. I like Sony displays personally but then thats me. Try the Dell - if you dont like it - return it and try the Apple.

Hope this helps in your decision.
  5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    I vote for the Dell. Bigger screen, higher resolution, more options, heck of a lot cheaper than the 20" Cinema. For me, at least, it would be a no contest. Get the Dell.:D