LCD displays ... can interference be a problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrVegas, Jul 1, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

In my current setup I have a desk that is about 5 feet wide. I have an stereo amplifier (the kind used in typical home hi-fi setups) on the left side of the desk. My LCD 17" monitor sits in the middle of the desk. My G5 sits on the right side of the desk.

Is there any chance that the picture quality could be affected by some kind of electrical interference? Right now the picture is not that great, but I figured it might be because this monitor is a few years old (CTX model SAB801) and isn't really a high-end monitor.

2. witness macrumors 6502

I used to get loads of interference (especially from desk lamps) with my old CRT's, but I've never had similar problems with LCD's.

3. hob macrumors 68020

hob

The only thing to be careful of is magnetic interference with components of your G5.

I used to rest my powerbook on top of my stereo amplifier, on my desk at home, and although i'm not 100% certain if it was the cause, at one point my powerbook needed replacement internal RAM and a new HDD!! Noone ever explained why!

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

As far as I know, the majority of interference regarding monitors (and tv's for that matter) comes from the picture tubes (ie: a CRT monitor or tube TV). The amount of power coming from the amp might create enough of an EM field to cause distortion in the LCD, but I highly doubt it.

An easy way to check is just to move the amplifier away from the screen and to see if it solves the problem. :)

5. efoto macrumors 68030

Bingo, although I doubt that an amp would be causing that much interferance to mess with a LCD panel. A CRT perhaps, LCD unlikely.

6. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the responses.

one other thing ... I have an 18" flourescent light mouted right over (within 2") of the LCD monitor... would that be a problem?

I think the bottom line is that the monitor just ain't that great and eventually should be replaced

7. efoto macrumors 68030

I don't think that flourescent lights actually emit enough of a field to interfere, however they are world renowned for giving horrible lighting and altering pictures/colors and making things look less crips. You can try increasing the brightness and messing with the colors to see if that helps at all, but otherwise I would bet it is just an older monitor and in comparison to the latest offerings just won't look as crisp.

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

The majority of electronic equipment which touts its use as computer peripherals has properly shielded wires.