LCD Displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kedge, Oct 8, 2005.

1. kedge macrumors newbie

I am a graphic desginer in the market to buy a new LCD display for my Power Mac G4. I am looking at the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Widescreen LCD and the ViewSonic VP231WB 23-inch LCD Monitor. This is a secondary computer that I use and my limit that I want to spend is about $1100. The Dell is a little cheaper a side from that any input from anyone.

2. carpe diem macrumors 6502

3. kedge thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at that but the Dell gives you a bigger screen and more options for a little more money.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you want the absolute best value in a large LCD screen, go with the 24'' Dell. Personally, I would take an Apple 23'' over a Dell 24'', but it is significantly more expensive, so if you aren't bothered by the cheap plastic enclosure of the Dell, get it.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Well said.

6. Bear macrumors G3

I'd suggest going into a store and looking at the screens you want, except the Dell isn't available in a store to look at. Compare what you can in the store, look at the specs of the screen you like best and compare that to the specs of the Dell screen.

7. davidcb13 macrumors member

They do have dell kiosks that have the screens on display... my local mall has one

8. kedge thread starter macrumors newbie

I did go to some local stores but they didn't anything larger then 20" on diplay.
    I am a big apple fan and just bought the apple 30" display for my G5. After buying that display my display on my G4 died. So I would like to replace it with a large LCD, but one that does not break the bank. I did find a 23-inch Sony on the web for 900.00 used.

9. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

also look at HP F2304 and L2335 - on ebay I've seen them going for around $600 and they have excellent reviews

10. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

if money were not an option for me, i would alost certaily go with the ACD. i happen to quite like the current dell design, and there are cheper and have more options to boot. sony also do some real sexy (although not widescreen) TFT displays.

i need a DVI input for my powerbook, and am thinking about getting the dell ultrasharp 17"er for that, as they seemed to have removed the 15" from the market:(

tastic

11. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

If you search around in the forums you'll find that the same manufacturer builds the dell and apple lcds so the price difference is mostly cosmetic. I have the dell 2005fpw and I love it and you can get it for around $400 with coupons.

12. kedge thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been looking around on the web at different reviews, and have been reading the threads in different chat rooms. What I came to figure out is that the Dell is a good buy, but quality falls into Apples or Viewsonics hands. Is that how everyone feels here?

13. robcts macrumors regular

I don't know if this helps, but here's a comparison review of the Apple 20" Cinema Display and the Dell 2005FPW.

14. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

so, your looking for a Liquid Crystal Display Display? :D

in all seriousness though, get the dell, they're really nice displays for the money

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The problem is, especially if you use your monitor in a dark room, very bright monitors will often appear brighter than you want them to be. Turning down the brightness, however, effects the colors. It is especially evident with things that are supposed to be white. On bright monitors they appear very white, but if your turn down the brightness, whites start to appear very yellowish.

16. cube macrumors G4

The ACDs were rejected by the San Diego Supercomputer Center Visualization Lab. See here

17. MrV macrumors newbie

Dell 2405FWP

Read this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=152490

--William

18. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Dell smell :p

I recommend the CMV CT-726D LCD 17" Display. for the following reasons;

Brightness: 400 cd/m2
    Contrast Ratio: 500:1
    Display Colours: 16.7 Million Dell's are only 16.2
    Horizontal Fresh Rate: 28~82 KHz
    Maximum Resolution: 1280x1024
    Pixel Pitch: 0.264mm
    Recommended Resolution: 1280x1024
    Vertical Fresh Rate: 50~76 Hz
    Viewing Angle: 160°(H) / 140°(V)

The case is silver plastic and the stand is quite sturdy.

I do digital art using Painter IX, Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash and my CMV has been a lifesaver.

If you're in the US you can get one HERE

Attached Files:

19. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Thats also only a 17". He said hes looking for a 24", plus the Dell has a much higher resolution. Go with the Dell.

20. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Oh yes he did say a 24", in my excitement to post a reply I overlooked that :rolleyes:

Dell has a higher resolution at a much lower colour display though.

21. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

16.7 vs 16.2 isnt too bad. I'd say the Dell is a helluva deal. You get size, resolution, and decent color.