LCD/DLP/PLasma?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by topgun072003, Dec 23, 2006.

1. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

What's the difference between LCD's, DLP's, and Plasma TV's? Also does anyone know if a better resolution than 1080p is coming out anytime soon? My parents are going to get a TV and I want to help them with their decision.:) P.S Are there any other things that I should be looking at? Rather than just resolution comparisons. Thanks

2. lmcintyre macrumors regular

Lcd and plasma are going to be your wall mountable solutions. DLP is a rear projection Technology developed by texas instruments. If you are looking for a flat wall mountable display your options are LCD or Plasma. Anything over 46" your will be going to go plasma. 1080p will be the highest res we see for awhile now. Lcd's generally have higher resolutions than plasma, so If you want 1080p lcd sets will be a better idea than plasma. If you dont mind a bigger (thicker) non-mountable option DLP's are great and do come in 1080p. Samsung makes great dlp's so check them out.

hope this helps

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Had 2 sony Plasmas 42" in one year the gas started to go......so bought another.....same thing..sony will stop making plasmas, have a LG 42 LCD with DVR built in and love it also have a 26" lcd in the bedroom....will never buy anything but LCD :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With regard to 1080P, yes, I think it will support most requirements for some time. One important thing to note is that resolution is not the only factor that determines visual quality. A review one of the major electronics info websites did recently came to the basic conclusion that it is very difficult to tell resolutions apart, even when one steps down to the 1366x768 sets, and that other factors such as black levels and color quality are much more noticeable. Also be sure to consider other basics including whether the TV has the right ports on it for what you want to do.

I have a relatively cheap LCD that I bought recently (just after Thanksgiving) but I love it so much. I'm watching a DVD on it and it's really gorgeous. :)

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I second what mkrishnan says above. Another caution (from my experience in other people's homes) is not buying a set which is too big for the room. If you are viewing the set from less than 2x the width of the TV (a 3x mimimum is more advisable), then the set is probably too large for the space.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That brings up a good point. Don't forget content. What are they going to be watching on that TV. If it's just SD Cable/Sat or DVDs anything above 480p will be wasted. Even an upscaling DVD player can't really get more resolution out than what is already there...

HD Cable or Sat will be 720p or 1080i for the foreseeable future, and I really can't see much difference between them personally. If anything 720p seems to be winning out over 1080i, and 1080p content remains somewhat rare, so while it's good to plan for the future it might not be worth it today if you won't get to really use if for a few more years.

Another point I try to remind people of in this thread is that the UI of a TV is pretty important. I have two LCD HDTVs, I enjoy using one and hate the other thans to the UI and controls. Do what you can to research this before buying.

B

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I think the hi-def DVD formats (HD-DVD / Blu-Ray) are really the only things out there that can really truly use a 1080p TV.