LCD, DVI or VGA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by madddogg, Feb 11, 2005.

1. madddogg macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a new 17" LCD for my mini that's on the way. I'm curious about the difference between LCDs that have a DVI interface and those that have VGA. I know I can use either with the mini, and the DVI should be better quality, BUT... what are your experiences with the difference in quality?

Can anyone recommend a good LCD for $200-$280 ?

TIA.

2. spins macrumors newbie

There is plenty of discussion on this board for your question. Although your price range is kind of low for a quality LCD, there are some out there to be had. I, myself, am looking at an LCD, as well. Dell and Samsung are both very good for the $$. As for what connection, most will tell you here that you need DVI, and I would agree. Again, you price range may limit you, and it all depends on what you want to use for it. For basic tasks, it's not going to matter.

This is a good starting point:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Monitors/4502-3174_7-0.html?tag=pageNav&orderby=-7eRating&qt=&cdi=5503419

You can filter on just about anything. Good luck!

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I actually just bought a new LCD for my PowerMac. I wanted DVI just because I've had to go through an Adapter or 2 for the last couple years and I wanted a direct digital connection. I can tell you, my LCD at work is a VGA connection and my eyes will defiantily get tired sooner on it than on my LCD at home.
    I have a 17" Princeton Graphics Synergy714 and I love it! The price was $299 so if you can go a little higher than $280 it's a great monitor, and it has DVI and VGA so you can go Analog or Digital.

Personally, I prefer the DVI of my home LCD to the VGA of my work LCD, but I am kind of a snob when it comes to these sort of things. :D

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I would look at the Princeton Synergy714, the Dell 1704FPV and the Samsung 710N. All are good LCDs for less than $300. The Samsung only has a VGA connector though. The Dell also has 4 USB 2.0 ports on the display which really come in handy and reduce cord clutter.

Personally, I have my eyes on the Dell 1905FP. With rebates and discounts, you can find it for $400 after tax and shipping. The 1905FP also has 4 USB 2.0 ports.

5. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I agree the Dell Ultrasharps usually get good reviews, especially in the category of "bang for your buck". The 1704FPV is currently $314. Here is a coupon code that will get you $25 off purchases of $225 or more: $J4TFC090M6GCS

It expires today though.

I just ordered a 2001FP. Between the online discount and coupons I picked it up for $529 with free shipping. It should be arriving today. :)