LCD flatscreen for G4 AGP - what works?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drbaker, Sep 26, 2006.

1. drbaker macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006

sorry if this is much-discussed question here, but i've searched and found no answers, and i'm just getting more confused. any help appreciated.

basically i'm looking to get a decent flatscreen monitor for my Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics). don't need it to be super good quality (i don't play games, just use it for regular work), just something decent in the £150 - £200 range (under $300 basically) - but i've got no idea what's compatible.

specs below:

Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics)
    1.4 Ghz
    1.5 GB SDRAM
    OSX 10.3.9

Type: display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-A
    VRAM (Total): 16 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x5046
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-63001-108

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    Depth: 16-bit Color
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Main Display: Yes

any guidance here would be gratefully received. thanks
  2. ckodonnell macrumors member

Aug 29, 2006
    I don't know if its much help, but in an effort to bring one of our G4's (AGP) up to par so it could continue working, we did several things:

Added DVD-R Drive
    Swapped out old 128 GFx card for a Radeon 9000 Mac Edition (DVI and ADC)
    DVI LG L203WT (
    (Doesn't come with DVI cable)
    Maxed RAM out at 1.5GB
    2x160 GB 7200 RPM HD's
    USB 2.0 PCI Card
    1.2 GHz G4 CPU Upgrade

I know you were just asking about the monitor, and I'd still recommend the LG L203WT, but only because it will work with whatever you get next and it's only $350 for a nice wide screen monitor.

Basically, and good LCD monitor with a large enough resolution for getting work done will be beyond that 16MB card (IMHO). I've found that this machine performs amazingly well given the tasks we throw at it. You'd be amazed what putting a little money into these things will do.

Hope it was helpful.
  3. drbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006

thanks for your reply.

yep, i've upgraded most things on this mac - got a new processor, maxed out the ram, added usb 2 pci card etc. it's doing everything i want it to do... just that i've a got a rubbish behemoth of a monitor attached to it that i can't place on my desk, so it's over to the right and i'm gradually getting neck ache!

so yeah, i kinda guessed i would have to upgrade the graphics card, but i don't have the cash right now to do that and buy a monitor too, so was just hoping that there would be a flatscreen out there that would work ok with my current card.

thanks for your help anyway!