lcd imac a bat idea

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacNut, Jan 4, 2002.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why would apple make a iMac with a lcd the price would be through the roof and its not practical why does an imac even need an lcd i think these rumor sites have really blown the idea of an lcd imac way out of proportion

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

perhaps you don't realize that the prices of lcds have been dropping consistently for the last year or so

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

they may have been dropping but is an lcd imac really needed?

4. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Really needed? No. But it sure as hell will draw people's attention away from PC's next time they shop. If the Mhz numbers are there, then apple has a real tidy little fighter on its hands for the consumer market. That coupled with a OS X-> PC New Order would do a good deal for the proliferation of Apple Inc. from a niche market to a MAJOR player.

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

In case you haven't noticed...

...LCDs are very nice. Here's some things that make them good for an iMac, or just good in general.

1) High contrast, they look nice.

2)Small footprint is more important on non-pro computers. Pros don't care how much space it takes (within reason).

3)Low heat would help the iMac not have the heat problems the current ones do.

4)Bragging rights, the iMac needs a big update. This is the easiest way of doing it.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

If Apple does make a lcd iMac they wouldn't replace the low-end models with an $1800 machine, it would be marketing suicide. When Apple does release a lcd imac it will probaly only replace the imac se until prices fall.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Re: In case you haven't noticed...

I think a lcd would be nice but is it essential. The biggest update the imac needs is a faster processer and a name change the "I" products in general i think need a name change what does the "I" stand for anyways??

8. j763 macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with asurance - there is no way that apple would release an $1800 iMac. LCD iMacs would not sell until the price came down.

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The "i" stands for whatever you want it to stand for.

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

who says they will be $1800?

11. HexaPlus macrumors newbie

cheap

Its got to be cheap and apple is no dummy they know this the original plan was to offset the cost of the lcd screen by not upgrading to a g4 but instead staying with a speed bumped g3...

12. dantec macrumors 6502a

I think...

There will still be one CRT lingering in the backround... It will be either the entry level model, or maybe only availalbe to the education.

I don't think the price would start at $1800. They wouldn't sell (unless they'd have superdrives & 2.4 ghz G5's & a GeForce 3)...

They will probably start at $1200 ($999 for CRT model) and go up to $1800.

13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

iBook

The iBook is basically an LCD iMac with the components crammed into a smaller space. Since desktop components cost less, an LCD iMac can sell for less than an equivalent iBook. Since the iBook is going for 1200-1300 last I heard, I don't think an 1800 dollar iMac is very likely.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I tend to agree with MacNut...

Fact: Apple would be able to make a cheaper iMac with a CRT than with an LCD.

CRT's are still cheaper than LCD's. So, no matter what kind machine Apple makes, putting a CRT is going to be cheaper...

and my personal opinion is that a Cheaper CRT iMac is going to sell more than a more expensive LCD iMac (to the masses, that is).

Now, that being said - the LCD has a certain "Wow" factor to it, that would certainly draw in the mac faithful as well as some converts...

but I still think for Education and Mom&Pop sales - price would likely remain the foremost factor... which is prob why we're seeing $799 CRT iMac rumors floating around...

arn

15. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Are we forgetting something?

To add to the list of four reasons why we should have an LCD iMac.. I think the most important reason is:

#5. Eye strain. LCD screens greatly reduce eye strain because of being *RADIATION FREE*. Hopefully Apple could use that angle in marketing. It certainly is the number one reason why I quit using my iMac and started using primarily my iBook even at home. Perhaps they can rename the radiation free LCD model an EyeMac. :)