LCD imac HD problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Alte22a, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Hi,

A friend of mine bought an LCD iMac 17" last summer, I think it is first Gen 17". But anyway I think His HD is broken, OSX doesnt boot fully and using disk ultilities just says errors but cant fixed them. Has this happen to anyone? Gonna back up whats left of his data tomorrow then see if I can fix it using sofware.
    Can anyone shed some lights on whats happening.

Tanks

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

if os x doesn't boot, how is he gonna get any of his data off of the drive?

he may want to try an archive and install on that.

3. Alte22a thread starter macrumors 6502

WELL, actually it half boots. Does that make sense? :D Its kinda difficult to weird explain. Like the finder bar doesnt totally appear even though some of the option are availiable. The HD doesnt show up on the desktop. Its just weird. OS 9 boots. My guess is that maybe 80% of OSX boots up and the remaining 20% is on the corrupt part of the disk.. Well anyway I'm gonna boot his machine up as a firewire drive. Move all the stuff off on to my PB, then hopefully use disk utility and see whats gonna happen. Worse comes to worse, we have to drive it back to the retailers..

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

go buy diskwarrior 3. thats all i have to say.

iJon

5. logicat2001 macrumors regular

I second that motion.

Buy Diskwarrior 3.

More than likely it will solve your problem. I can't tell you how many times Diskwarrior has solved "unsolveable" computer glitches for me, both professionally and personally.

If you're not familiar with the application, just read the feedback on MacUpdate and Version Tracker.

iJon and I kid you not.

Best,
    Logicat