LCD me ASAP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JES, Jun 26, 2004.

1. JES macrumors member

Hi All,

Okay, so like everyone else I'm waiting for the new mac screens to come out. But here's a question. In the 20-23" range, is there an LCD that's a better deal than Apple's monitors? What would you get? I plan to purchase two -- one for the office and one for the studio.

Thanks.

--JES

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dell :eek: UltraSharp 2001FP.

1600x1200 native, 16ms response, 400:1 contrast ration. It pwns, and is only £787, I could get 2 of these (that's 3200x1200px) and have change for the price of a 23" Apple (£1599, 1920x1200). I know what I'd do. Plus you get S-Video, DVI, VGA, Picture in Picture, adjustable display (height etc).

It's a no brainer IMO.

4. JES thread starter macrumors member

Thanks and followup

Hey Thanks for the replies so far. More questions, if you know the answers:

1. Is the Dell 2001fp significantly different from the 2000fp? I saw a refurb 2000 for $679!

2. Does Samsung make a 20" model?? I've found the 19" and the 21" (which is about the same as the Apple in cost, but of course bigger).

Other replies or opinions are of course welcome, too.

Best,
    --JES

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes it is, read through the review over at AnandTech I linked to in my last post.

Also check out eBay for better prices on brand new 2001FP's, I've found that I could actually get 2 brand new one's from guys with good ratings and many sales for just over £1k :eek: :cool:

6. JES thread starter macrumors member

ok, I'm very close

Thanks for the reply, again. One last round of questions on the 2001fp:

1. Do you have any color adjustment or other interface issues running it with the Mac?

2. Do you run it analog or digital? If you run it digital, does it play nice with the Mac and can you use the USB ports, etc.?

3. What ADC-DVI adapter do you recommend? One my computers only has VGA and ADC outputs.

Thanks.

--JES

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. JES thread starter macrumors member

thanks anyway

bummer. but I've found some other reviews online. Think I'll go for it. The monitor looks sweet.

Thanks.

--JES

9. JES thread starter macrumors member

oh my god

Alright, so I took the ebay plunge and landed two of the 2001fps for a very reasonable $860 or so each. Also picked up a Belkin ADC-DVI adapter from MacMall for $25. I have to say that these monitors are a screamingly good alternative to the $1299 20" Apple Cinema Display.

These things are absolutely amazing. Gorgeous to look at, and I found the extra real estate very useful for a recording session earlier tonight. Bonus: on TWO monitors, I couldn't find a single dead or stuck pixel.

Loving that new digital look. . . .

Thanks again!

Best,
    --JES

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Glad you like 'em. 3200x1200 you lucky bastard! Now I'm just jealous!

Post a pic of the new setup! I wanna see these!

11. JES thread starter macrumors member

no pics yet, sorry

The digital camera isn't coming for awhile, so you'll have to wait. I'm not actually using them side by side -- they're in two different rooms. They're wide enough that if I used them both, they'd block out my studio monitors.

Best,
    --JES