LCD monitor for Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Willy S, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    I was set to buy an eMac for Photoshop but now Apple will probably upgrade the Mini in a few days. Thus, the Mini might be a better deal than eMac if I could get a decent around 19" LCD that has good color fidelity and other qualities that are important for photo editing.

Any suggestions?
  2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    An important unstated data point here is, what are you planning/willing to spend on the monitor?
  3. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Well almost all 19" cost less than 500 euros or $. I´m willing to go up to 600 euros but wouldn´t mind buying a good monitor for 350. :rolleyes:
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    This 20" Dell has the exact same LCD as the 20" Apple Cinema Display (according to an article mentioned in another thread earlier today) and at €609 it should be very good value for money...

PS! I chose the Irish Dell-store because it's in English and display prices in €. So it might even be cheaper in other countries...
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The real rub is whether the colour fidelity is good enough for photo editing. If you earn money from your photo editing I would say no. If you are a hobbyist, then maybe.

You can look at a calibrated monitor solution like the LaCie 321 but that is close to double your budget.
  6. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    I´m a hobbyist.

I´m wondering how good these normal priced LCDs can be compared to CRTs and that is a subjective question. The 20" dell is probably (just a guess) not the best for photoshop. CNET says that everybody should be happy with it except gamers and graphics pros.

PC world seems to like Philips Brilliance 190P5EB for graphics. The problem is just that these sites only review a part of the monitors available.

I welcome any advise. :)
  7. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I got a Samsung 17" SyncMaster 715V for like $350 something. It's really nice in it's native resolution of 1280x1024 and I use photoshop alot. I'm sure they make a similar version in 19".
  8. Xerocs macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2003
  9. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    It retails for c.a. 550 euros. L568 is 17" and seems to have similar specs and looks, retails for 350 euros. If the size is the only difference, the 17" looks better for me.

I also found L550 that seems to be rather portable also, and i can get it for only 250 euros.

My other options are CRTs+Mini or an eMac. :)
  10. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    PC World likes this Iiyama ProLite E435S-B, 17" for graphics. The price is only 250 euros. :rolleyes:
  11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    If you were going to buy a eMac anyway why not go with a 19" CRT or larger?
    i) They are generally cheaper
    2) They generally have better color calibration accuracy (the whole thing about this is to make your monitor exactly match the colors from the output of your printer - i take it you know this!)
  12. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    I haven´t decided yet on the eMac. I was decided but then a Mini update is expected this week and my wife likes LCDs better than CRTs because we live in a tiny appartment.

If I can´t find a monitor with the Mini that is ok for Photoshop, I will buy an eMac for sure.