LCD Monitor info needed...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Falleron, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, I am trying to make the case for using LCD's instead of CRT monitors in a computer Lab. What I need is figures that show things like typical power savings / lower radiation levels + stuff like that. I dont have to prove that they are going to be cheaper, just that they are an option.

Thanks for any help.

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Cost savings comes from power used from the machine (40W for a 17" studio display) vs. CRT (100W Hitach 19" CM715) and some from a/c cooling in the summer time. You'll have to find out which monitors you are comparing and get the power usage.

You can calculate the cost savings yourself if you know how much electricity costs in your area. I'd guess its about 8 cent per killowatt-hour (1000W in one hour). The above CRT uses 100W so if it's on for 10 hours a day, it will cost 8 cents per day. In one month it will cost $1.60. If there are 10 of these in the lab it will cost $16.00 a month. LCD's would cost $6.40, a savings of $9.40 a month.

The emissions on CRT's these days are very, very low.

Other reasons to buy an LCD are sharpness of the display, small footprint. Reasons to buy a CRT are its ruggedness and cost.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

and also CRTs have a greater viewing angles, better resolutions,
    almost unlimited amounts of colors, and they hae much better
    reaction time.

4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

But yea that doesn't make up for thier overly massive size and who-cares kind of picture. 1920X1200 is plenty rez for me and don't think I need many more colors over the current millions I have.

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hmm, I will have to do some more research into how much the budget people are willing to spend as an intial setup cost.

Has anyone come across a site on the net that lists the Pro's and Cons? I know them in general terms, but could do with creating a report quickly. I really like my 17" Apple LCD, its great + would never go back to a CRT out of choice.