LCD Monitors as TV"s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rapps, Mar 2, 2005.

1. rapps macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've never owned an LCD Monitor. Heck....all I have are crappy CRT's. I'm going to law school in NYC next year and will be bringing my new 15" PB. I don't have a TV, yet.

I was thinking of maybe getting a eyetv for my pb...but then I starting thinking about getting an external LCD (the prices seem to be going down!). If the LCD monitor has an s-video or the red/white plugs...can I hook up one of those digital cable boxes to it and get TV?! Obviously the monitor doesn't have a coax, but I'm not familiar enough with how this stuff works.

I'd be ecstatic if one of those 20" widescreen dells could be an external for my PB AND a TV.

Please let me know what I need for it to be done!!!

Thanks.

2. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

yeah if you have a cable box, tivo, or satellite receiver, you can hook them up to the Dell widescreen and there is your TV. Very good for college dorms and apartment bedrooms. The only thing you will have to worry about is getting sound. So you will need a set of speakers and depending on the type, an RCA to stereo mini jack cable

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well, that and getting your nice LCD monitor ripped off (depending on your living arrangements).

4. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

and your powerbook :-o

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Don't forget most VCRs have TV tuners in 'em. They're dirty cheap those days.

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. But I'm a bit afraid the 2005FPW would be a bit too... extravagant for a dorm room. Thief temptation isn't exactly high on my list.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Why not look for an HDTV LCD screen that can take PC/Mac inputs? Dell has a 17" and 19" widescreen HDTVs that have coax, DVI, component inputs for TV and probably VGA input for the computer. Samsung makes a nice 17" TV as well.

7. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Aren't these much much more expensive?

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Probably, but the upside is that they'll function as a TV much better. You already have a monitor for your Mac, so connecting your PB to the TV would be a secondary function. The main function should be as a TV, so I would suggest buying a TV, not a computer monitor.

Also, LCD TVs are much better suited for TV than LCD monitors. They tend to have better contrast and brightness and usually faster response speeds.

9. jbrjake macrumors member

Another downside to using an LCD monitor as a TV is the native resolution's wrong. Apple and Dell's 20" widescreen monitors are too low rez for HD, yet high enough that standard-def content will look somewhat blocky and pixelated.