LCD prices Up = Apple product prices up?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Nov 20, 2003.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Remember when Apple upped the prices of his product to account for raising LCD prices? Well this could all start over again:

"SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Flat panel displays for televisions and computers are in such high demand that prices for the thin, low-power screens used to make them are rising -- a trend that could continue into next year, a market researcher said on Wednesday."

Whole Article here:

LCD panel prices up on a tight supply...

Is it me or or are LCD prices higher than earlier predicted. They've been around in good enough amount for a few years nows and yet we are not seing dramatic price drops. I remember reading a few years ago that when all of the infracstructure would be established and when demand was to be high enough, prices of LCDs were supposed to drop to a point where they would be less expensive than conventional CRTs. Oh well...

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Perhaps that infrastructure has yet to be established...

Or maybe the "infrastructure" isn't big enough to support the new found demand.

If LCDs drop in price, then the group that can afford them gets larger, demand goes up, and if supply doesn't continue to rise at the same rate, prices will stay high.

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Oh no.

I don't want to pay more for my Stadium-like Theater LCD Screen!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

;)

Ah I really hope they don't raise prices... ech.

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I think there's an element of price gouging going on here. The market it very well established, and I would think it could sustain itself. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't see how the industry could still have trouble bringing us lower prices.

Dan

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can't say as I remember Apple raising the price on LCD's. It would seem that is they raise the prices if will slow sales.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

when apple first came out with the imac the had a set price. soon after they lowered the price on the imac, then at macworld tokyo they raised the price because of higher prices on lcd's, then eventually dropped the price again and has been going down since. it was for a short time.

iJon

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

That's what I was getting at....an industry that "controls" the amount of product it puts out to keep prices high. Memory is like that, the prices are controlled by the manufacturors, not the market.

Anyone remember about 2 years ago when RAM was super cheap, an all time low? Memory companies got pissed and worried, so started controlling prices by limiting sales.

9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Not in the land of Aus, THe Dollar is up and the price of imports are down.

He Hee, I like a weak US dollar.

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Oh yes! I do remember. Those were great times. I remember maxing out the memory in my two computrs and telling all my friends to do so while it lasted.