LCD screen turning red in corners? (iMac G4 20")

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 2contagious, Sep 22, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi,

I wanted to fix this hardware problem with my iMac G4 20". Basically the LCD screen has a redish tint in the corners, only really visible when displaying something bright/white. Also, when looking at the screen from an angle when displaying a black image, it looks completely red. What's the fault here? Is it the panel itself or the backlight?

see you,
    2c

2. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It is likely the panel itself, and it is unlikely to be the backlight... But both are possible. If you get a new LCD panel, you will get a new backlight anyway. (please correct me if I am wrong) But it is likely the panel itself.

3. macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I guess you also can't rule out a possible graphics issue until the screen is replaced, but that could possibly be the problem.

4. macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

to rule out the graphics card is easy, the iMac has a mini vga out , just connect a monitor if the problem is not on that monitor present the graphic card is alright and its the panel thats defect

5. macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Oops I should have thought of that. :rolleyes: I unfortunately don't have an iMac g4 but I really want one.. :mad:

6. macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i want one too then i have the desktop all in one's complete from this century
    iMac g3 ,iMac G5 , eMac ,only missing is the iMac G4 :(
    but good news because of the iPod iPad and iPhone mania
    and the need for intel Mac's to be able to watch 24/7 HD youtube videos they are tumbling down in price now
    so i might even get a second TAM and maybe a lisa I and II and a Macintosh 128k for no money at all
    in the last half year the prices here in uk dropped for all PPC Mac's by at least between £50 to £200 + compared to the prices in spring , not to mention the price drops for performa and Macintosh classic and co where sellers nearly offer you cash to take them ,

thank you apple for the iPad and iPhone 4 now i can buy all Mac's i ever wanted for no money at all because nobody else wants them any more now :)