LCD Studio Display acting up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DinoAdventure, Jul 28, 2005.

1. DinoAdventure macrumors member

DinoAdventure

I just got a slightly used 15" Apple ADC LCD stuido display a few weeks ago, and It's begining to have some problems. According to the previous owner, it only had about a week of use on it prior to me purchasing it (but it did come from eBay, so who knows). Once the display has been on for a little while (half hour or so) the power button starts tripping out, and acts as if its being pressed over and over. This causes the shut down dialog to pop up over and over, and basicaly makes it impossible to accomplish anything. Is there anyway I can disable the button or something to keep this from happening? Could this be a problem with my ADC DVI adapter or is it the display?

Here is my configuration: PowerbookG4, Tiger, 64MB video, ADC DVI Adapter.

Thanks in advance

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I dunno if it is the same, but I have always experienced a similar problem with my 15" ASD (LCD). The only difference is that instead of the power "button" acting up, the display settings "button" on the left toggles repeatedly. I sometimes wonder if the plug is dirty/loose/damaged in some way but I have never figured it out. I've even tried different video cards (display is connected to a G4 Cube).

3. alangyssler macrumors member

alangyssler

Alright, not sure if this will help or not...

I too have a 15 studio display, and have used it for about four years now (fortunately, without problems), but I think I might have a plausible solution... under the system preferences, in "Energy Saver -> Options" there should be a check box that says something to the extent of "Allow display power button to sleep computer." Try unchecking that button, and see if that keeps the dialog from popping up. Perhaps it will stop, and allow you to be productive, however, I have never had it off, as I like to put my computer to sleep by just touching the sensor. Try this, and if that doesn't work, perhaps just turn everything off, and clean the spot in front of the sensor real good. If that doesn't work, perhaps theres some sort of OF hack that disables the functionality of the button entirely.

For what it's worth, my setup is a 733 Quicksilver G4 and a 15 inch studio display (without any adapters).

As a side note, any idea why the display button of the studio display doesn't bring up the display preferences in Tiger? It works on 10.3.9, I think... it pulses when I put my finger over it, but nothing happens.

And another side note (I know this has probably appeared elsewhere, but I haven't found a concrete answer yet), is there any means of disabling the sleeping pulse on an old studio display? Make it less bright? Anything at all?

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The display settings button still works for me in 10.4... infact, it works "too good". It is actually not uncommon to walk over to the computer and see that Display Settings panel open.

The weird thing about all this is that for a long time it seemed to have fixed itself, but recently has begun to act up again. I am fairly convinced it has something to do with a loose/dirty connection.

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Since you have the ADV to DVI adapter why not try unplugging the USB cord from your computer. I assume the On/Off settings are transfered through the USB cord.