lcd tv as computer monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by billyboy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

We are looking for a 24" something to watch tv and use with our computers. The choice in th estores is huge and just wondered about personal experience of whether there is a product that does it all?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It depends on the t.v. Can you provide a link of your considerations and maybe a MR member has the t.v, in which they can recommend.

Just make sure the lcd has a DVI input and you should be fine. Also keep in mind the resolution is generally low :)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Must LCD TVs in the affordable range will be poor computer monitors.
    We went the other way, got a Dell 2405 and use it as a TV. Video source is the DVD/VCR with a tuner (never use the tuner anyway) via component. Audio goes through the stereo so there's no problem with the monitor not having speakers. Picture is great.

4. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

yeah i got me a Sharp 23" LCD (LD-23SH1U) TV ready HDTV ready screen off of Woot.com a while back for about $650. I've been really happy with the picture quality and its got DVI/VGA/Component/Composite connections in the back. I love it!! Hooked it up to an Intel Mac Mini a while back and the image quality was just astonishing, I loved how Front Row looked on it.

5. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

BestBuy recently had a sale on a 42" 1080p LCD TV. The resolution was 1920x1080 so pretty reasonable. $1500 is a lot for a monitor, but not if you want to enjoy it from 5 or 6 feet away.

The sale is over, but here's a link if you're curious.

6. billyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

That Sharp sounds like a great deal and would fit the bill, especially if it looks good hooked up to a computer. A 23 inch computer monitor for that money sounds amazing.

Does the Dell (is that the one that sells for a grand more or less?) have blurry images with video or is that a criticism in the reviews I have read where tele-philes are just being ultra picky? I am not ultra picky btw!

I know we all want the best of all worlds for a few bucks, but basically I dont want to spend good money on something and feel like it was great for one thing but a huge compromise for another ie end up not using a tv as a computer monitor because it really sucks compared to a half decent dedicated monitor. If there is anything that compares to a Powerbook screen and is a tv too, bring it on!

7. whawhat macrumors 6502

toeknee,

how is your mac hooked up to your sharp? my bro has a sharp 23" tv and a powermac g5 and was not sure which connection to use.....i am guessing the best choice is DVI to DVI?

thanks

8. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

9. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I've done the LCD TV as a display before...

...I purchased a Dell 19" Widescreen LCD Television - and, although the color quality was terrific, the resolution was pathetically lower than my MacBook Pro.

After a few months, I went ahead and purchased a 20.1" Widescreen Viewonic Monitor, and use the LCD TV for...TV.

10. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

I agree that the rez isnt the best in the world but just the multifunction ability of the monitor is pretty cool. The Apple 23" cinema display has a great rez than my 23", I know this but im still happy with my monitor.