LCD TV back lighting issue

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Koodauw, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Well I just got a new TV, its a Sony 40'' XBR and when it is on a black screen, I can see "blotches" of lighter colored areas mainly at the bottom and on the sides. It is coming from the backlighting of the tv, which is not even. I went to the store, and found that the display model there was like this as well. Its not a problem when watching anything with color, and only a minor annoyance when watching dark scenes. But I do have some questions.

1. Is this normal, and can it be fixed?
    2. Should I take it back and try another one?

I feel there should be even backlighting, but maybe I'm wrong. I figure with all the backlighting issue of the MPB this would be a good place to ask. Also didn't know where to post this, so I apologize if this should be in another forum.
  2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Our 40" XBR at work does the same thing. I think at this point, backlight bleeding is always going to be an issue.You mostly see it on black/gray shades though, right?

The XBR is Sony's best- their flagship. So you assume their QC is up to par. Honestly I haven't seen a large LCD without SOME backlight bleeding.