LCD TV Canada Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thechris69, Jan 5, 2007.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Hello, I need a LCD tv for my xbox 360 needs, and was wondering the best place in canada to buy one. Newegg.com has the best prices imo but they dont ship to canada, tigerdirect.ca is good but the prices i find are a bit to high... if there are cheap american sites out there please let me know, but id prefer free shipping or sumthing like that, because the duty prices could be expensive... so if anyone knows any good places within canada to purchase an lcd tv let me know please!:) :D :p

2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Where in Canada do you live, and do you need to purchase online?

FutureShop and BestBuy both sell online in Canada.

3. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

i live just outside Toronto, Ontario. i would purchase online, but if it was free-shipping only, otherwise I would just pick it up...yes bestbuy and futureshop dont have the best deals compared to newegg.com I just wish newegg would ship internationally

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Size?

Is it just for the Xbox? If so, and you want something ~US$800 you might just want to consider the Dell 24" monitor. If you want something larger you'll pay more and will usually get less resolution.

B

5. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

im just looking for a cheap, affordable, lcd tv that does the job well... preferably 26inch.. anything bigger thats cheap i would settle for as well... ya its for the xbox in my room, so a massive tv wouldnt be practical... 600 dollars canadian is my money situation..

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Costco just sent me a US$75 coupon for a 720p 23" Samsung HDTV that would end up at US$475 after the coupon. (US$550 without). In browsing costco.ca it looks like CAD600 will only get you a 20" Viewsonic. The 24" Dell I mentioned earlier is CAD800, while the 20" is CAD400. It's not quite 1080p, but seems like a better value if you don't need a TV tuner.

B

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) You won't get free shipping unless you are overpaying for the product

2) You will pay border charges on any import from the US (these are never, ever paid by the seller):
    Usually 6.9% duty because most of these products are made in China and not covered by NAFTA, plus GST and PST on the duty-paid value, plus $16 - $40 for customs brokerage, which is what you pay the broker or the freight company for filling out the forms and paying the taxes in advance for you. Also remamber that the US-Canadian dollar exchange sux right now, plus your credit card company will charge you 4% - 4.5% worse than the official rate... they make money on the exchange. So if you thought the official rate was $1.1755 then your charge card bill is going to be $1.22 per US dollar.